Treating For Vent Gleet/Purple Splotch/Something Else?

CluckinUP

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Last Thursday, my Azure Egger (age 4) exhibit symptoms that I thought were along the lines of Vent Gleet -yellowish/white discharge, hunched over, not eating or drinking. Comb is bright red. No poop, only green, yellow droppings (I remove poop piles daily from the coop). Haven't seen any blood. Her belly felt swollen. Didn't feel a broken egg inside, so I thought it may be vent gleet. Started treating her with Micronzole, a bit of yogurt with Nutri drench and cleaned her vent area. Before I witnessed her symptoms, I treated the flock with the preventative dose of Corid (we've had some storms come through). Also, we have been experiencing warmer than usual temperatures which I read can trigger vent gleet. Since last Thursday, I've been repeating the treatment daily. Added ACV to the water for a few days. She's better, tail is upright. Caught her drinking water on Sunday, she's eating some mash out of my hands. Scratching at the ground. She does roost with the others in coop at night (bedding consists of pine shavings) However, I noticed purple skin near where her small intestines are located.

No one else in the flock are experiencing these symptoms. I've sent a fecal sample for testing, just to be sure. I'm relieved she's eating and appearing better but I'm concerned about the purple splotch- see photo. Does it look like maybe she was attacked by the other hens? Or am I totally off on my diagnosis and therefore treatment?Appreciate any advice!

Attachments

• Chicken.jpg
    Chicken.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 75
The splotch looks like injury or bruising to me. I'll tag in @Eggcessive to take a look as well.

Her abdomen is swollen, does it feel like fluid?
A large or swollen abdomen in laying hens often points to reproductive disorders like cancer, tumors, EYP or similar. Fluid can be from reproductive disorders and/or organ dysfunction.
I would continue to work on her eating/drinking. Check to make sure her crop is emptying.
If there's fluid in the abdomen, sometimes it can be drained to make the hen more comfortable for a period of time. Antibiotics may also be given as supportive care.

I agree the purple looks like injury or pecking. Yellow and greenish droppings can be due to reproductive disorders and the swollen belly may be a sign of ascites/water belly. Ascites is common in chickens with repro disorders, cancer, and liver disease. My hen with ascites last year did have a purple belly, but it was all over.

Thanks everyone. I'll need to look into water belly. The bloatness has decreased slightly. As far as an antibotic, what do you suggest? I gave her some oregano oil, which I have on hand.

Received results from the fecal sample I sent earlier this week from the state poultry lab, heavy infestation of capillaria. In the past, I've used Safeguard, I'll switch to panacur for treatment. Should I use amoxicillin the same time I treat for Capillaria for her? Or hold off?

Received results from the fecal sample I sent earlier this week from the state poultry lab, heavy infestation of capillaria. In the past, I've used Safeguard, I'll switch to panacur for treatment. Should I use amoxicillin the same time I treat for Capillaria for her? Or hold off?
Panacur and Safeguard are both Fenbendazole just different brand names.
Dose Fenbendazole is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in row to treat Capillary worms.

Amoxicillin can be given at the same time if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom