treating leg mites in volume update..problem toe

I doubt kerosese would work even if he was doing it, and I certainly wouldn't put WD40 on them.

You should research using ivermectin for leg mites. Some forms can be added to their water. It's not an ideal treatment but it might actually work, in time.

Thanks ddawn, I think something like that would be a better thing to start with. I can't see me just waltzing in there trying to tell him how to take care of the chickens. I am thinking he sees them more as farm animals than pets like I do. I wanted to cry when I saw their poor little legs. Maybe I can start with this and go from there.
thanks again
sharon

Quote:
I used Ivermectin for my roo when I got him. He had horrible scaley let mites. I have an Avian vet, treats only birds, including chickens. She told me to use 1 part injectable ivermecting (cattle) to 2 parts water. Then you apply it to the legs. I use a little paint brush. She told me that only one application is necessary, but I repeat in one week, just in case. I tried soaking his legs in warm water and all that, didn't make a difference for him. He is part Silkie, and with his leg mites, he had a few hair shafts poking out through all the yuck, but no feathers. When I started treating his legs, the area where the shafts were, actually started bleeding, they were so irritated from the mites. Anyway, within a couple of weeks, all the scabby yuck came off and now he has feathers on his feet and legs! About a month ago, I noticed what looked like a few raised scales on one of my hens, so I went ahead and treated all my chickens, using the same procedure. Went out in the evening with a flashlight and a chair ( a red light would of been much easier!
tongue.png
) and painted everyone's legs. Time consuming, yes, but very, very effective, and easy. You can get injectable ivermectin at your feedstore. A 50ml bottle cost me about $45.00. I know how hard it is deciding what to say to someone who's animals need better care. The people I got my roo from are my next door neighbors. ALL of their chickens, except the really young ones, have really bad scaley leg mites, and they have over 40 chickens!. I just bite my tongue with that one. They have owned chickens for years and years, and didn't even know what Marek's disease was until I lost a hen to it last winter and told them about it. Their teenage daughter kind of runs the show over their, and of course, she knows "everything", so I don't even bother. I just make sure our chickens don't mingle with theirs. Don't get me wrong, they are nice people and we get along just fine. They are just not the most informed in the area of animal care. I think that is great that you are considering helping these chickens out. Hopefully, the owners appreciate your efforts. Good luck.

Last edited:
Nu-Stock is the only thing I've found that works well if you don't want to go with the heavy chemicals like Sevin or Ivermectin. I had tried cooking oils, vaseline, bag balm...you name it and nothing worked until I tried the Nu-stock, which worked in one application.

I'd suggest you report what you saw to the organization that funds this reinactment community and see if they will let you help treat these birds. Leg mites looks extremely painful to me.

I've had good luck with Pam cooking spray. But I think next go round I try the injectible invermectin.

Where do you get Nu Stock and how do you apply?

I got mine at the local feed store. It comes in a tube, is slightly thin and runny and I just apply it like a lotion to their feet and legs. Its ingredients are only sulfur, pine tar and mineral oil....it stinks a little, so use latex gloves for the application.

I've been impressed with it for the mites and also for very fast wound healing. Supposed to be very good for fungal infections as well.

They have a website on which you can order.

I'd ask at your local feed store and see if they will order it in for you.

Quote:
Um, just because a chicken is considered a 'farm animal' and not a pet, does NOT mean they shouldn't get proper care.
My chickens are livestock (okay, but don't tell my DH, he thinks they're pets and gives them weird names
roll.png
) but they are as well cared for as any pet house chicken.
If you can treat them, that would be great. If he is reluctant to have anything done, I would go to Animal Control, because not treating them is neglect.

Yep, mine are livestock as well but they are cared for most carefully. They are kept clean, well fed and in good health which is just common sense, whether you have pets or livestock. All these considerations avoid suffering and the added expense of vet care or loss of life.

Good animal husbandry is not specific to those who own pets vs. livestock. These birds are in pain and should either be treated or put down.

I agree and cannot just walk away. I will start by offering to bring sand for the pens. I had talked to him about how much better I liked sand than just dirt and he seemed interested. Maybe if I can donate sand it will make it easier to deal with the care of them. He is rather old, smokes and rides around in a golf cart. I don't think he would be too resistant to maybe some volunteer help with the chickens. I will try that route. Thank you for your help and suggestions. I cannot stand to see animals not taken care of properly. I too would prefer they just be put down rather than suffer. There is so much a lack of education in this area about the good care of animals. We still have a long way to go around here about proper/humane care of animals.

Back
Top Bottom