Treating my 7 chicks for coccidiosis, now one is having respiratory issues? How do I treat?

kaysutt

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2022
Poconos, PA
Hi!
Last week on 6/21, I took home 7 baby chicks. 6 of them are the same size/seem to be the same age, and the other is about 2x the size so I assume older. The woman I got them from did not let me know - I *think* the younger ones are a week or two old, and the larger one 2-3 weeks.

A few days into me taking care of them, I noticed blood in stool and witnessed one of the smaller chicks poop blood - this chick was also lethargic and had pasty butt. So, to TSC I went, got some Corid, and have been giving the whole flock that as their only water source since last Friday 6/24 (1.5 tsp per gallon). Everyone seemed to be doing fine.

I had noticed that the larger chick sometimes breathes with their mouth open, and it makes a clicking noise - it has been doing this since I got them. I have been monitoring this chick closely, and it seems fine - active, eats, poops... until yesterday. I noticed one of its eyes was crusted shut. I cleaned it off and clear ooze came out. After a rinse, it was open, (not swollen or red or anything) and it stayed fine the rest of the day. This afternoon I checked on them again and its back to being crusted shut. This entire time this chick has been doing the weird breathing thing (I am going to try to include a video)....and I am not sure what to do? Is this a respiratory issue? Just an eye infection? All of the others seem fine. Do I treat the whole flock for something? Do I treat just the eye? I am at a loss - google says so many things. Especially with them all still being on Corid I am not sure what else I can do right now. I planned on giving them some NutriDrench after the Corid dose was done on Saturday, but do I come up with a different plan of action?

I really appreciate any and all advice!

Back
Top Bottom