1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treating Respiratory Illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4hchickmama, Jan 18, 2013.

1. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    So I noticed in one of my coops this morning, I have a sick bird. She has a bit of wheezing, and crusty nostrils. I checked everyone else in the coop and I see a few with crusty noses, but no one else seems as ill as her. I've put her on quarantine and decided not to let this coop of birds out to freerange with the others today...but my question is, what should I treat the birds with? Should I treat the whole flock? I coop my ducks in one coop, older birds in one coop, and younger birds in another. This is my young bird coop that seems to have the issue. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Treat with Tylan 50. 1/2 cc for 5 days.

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Don't get any new birds and don't sell hatching eggs. Lots of breeders start over, but if they are your pets, you probably don't want to get rid of them. Most respiratory diseases are highly contagious, so if the one showing signs has been with the flock for 24-48 hours, they could all have the respiratory disease.

You can easily tell when birds have a respiratory disease when under stress (being chased/threatened) or in cold weather conditions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by