Treating roundworm in young poultry (no Wazine or Fenbendazole)

DuckDuckDixon

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 17, 2018
I rescued a family of three-week-old ducklings that have roundworms. My guidance was to use Fenbendazole on them, but I read the following:
"Caution. Fenbendazole shouldn't be given to pet poultry who are actively growing new feathers, such as those in the early stages of growth or during molting." (See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/fenbendazole)

Fenbendazole can stunt feather growth. Obviously, these ducklings are developing feathers, so I need an alternative to get rid of the roundworms. Wazine no longer exists, so that's out. Any suggestions?

Or, would it be better to use Piperazine Citrate?
This is what I would use.
The dosage for birds under 6 weeks is 50 mg/bird.
Put 1/2 tsp. of what you linked into a piece of bread and feed it to the duckling. Take each one out and feed it alone so the others don't try to steal it and get double dosed.
Repeat in 7 days.
Are you sure they have round worms?

This is what I would use.
The dosage for birds under 6 weeks is 50 mg/bird.
Put 1/2 tsp. of what you linked into a piece of bread and feed it to the duckling. Take each one out and feed it alone so the others don't try to steal it and get double dosed.
Repeat in 7 days.
Are you sure they have round worms?

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_163411229.jpg
    IMG_20210416_163411229.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 9
Wazine is piperazine, no longer approved for poultry in the USA. It's also not as effective as fenbendazole, the only approved and effective wormer here. Any of the 'bendazoles' might possibly have effects on growing feathers, so the question would be how much that really matters to you (are you planning to show them?) and how severe is their roundworm burden? Also, have you had fecals run, to see what other parasites might be present?
There's a dose range for fenbendazole products, depending on the parasites being treated. And Panacur is fenbendazole...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom