Treating Tapeworms - Under Construction

Welcome!
Are you in the USA? Ivermectin doesn't do tapeworms, fenbendazole does some species, not all, and needs to be dosed correctly for the tapes it does kill.
Praziquantel kills tapes, isn't allowed for poultry here, but can be found for other species, and then dosed for the birds, if really necessary. Having a low worm burden isn't all that bad either, so it depends...
Mary

Where do I find these products? Tapeworm issue here… Have tried safeguard and ivermectin 😔Still see them…
Welcome To BYC
Read the very first post (link below) for products that contain Praziquantel. Doses are included in the post. If you are in the U.S. you should be able to find them at TSC or a similar store.
Fenbendazole (Safeguard) nor Ivermectin are effective in treating Tapeworms.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Welcome!
Are you in the USA? Ivermectin doesn't do tapeworms, fenbendazole does some species, not all, and needs to be dosed correctly for the tapes it does kill.
Praziquantel kills tapes, isn't allowed for poultry here, but can be found for other species, and then dosed for the birds, if really necessary. Having a low worm burden isn't all that bad either, so it depends...
Mary
Yeah, the worms are having a party and Mary wants to join! :lau
Dont worry Mary, I'll pick you up when you fall down! :thumbsup

According to Dr. Fulton, a nationally known poultry expert, who I consulted two years ago about this, It's what he said at the time. The key is about the level of infection. Zero parasite load is difficult to maintain if the birds free range, especially in some environments. And praziquantel monthly would be needed in some cases to keep them tapeworm free.
Overkill?!
Managing intestinal parasite loads is important, and recommendations do change over time. Used to be that unthrifty birds for any reason left the flock, so the healthiest birds remained in the gene pool. Not a bad plan, not as useful for managing pets, who are cherished as individuals, and may not enter that gene pool.
Also, managing livestock is not the same as care for pets, who aren't eaten by us, and who live in closer contact with us, especially with our children.
Enough!
Mary

Also, managing livestock is not the same as care for pets, who aren't eaten by us, and who live in closer contact with us, especially with our children.
Enough!
Mary
Dunno about that. I've been to a couple of countries where dogs, rats and cow brains were on the menu...not bad eating. Dog meat is gristly. Cow brains are bland, bbq rat is pretty good :drool...especially if you've been drinking!

Newbie here! Trying to put together my worming arsenal and I see that Equimax appears to be the wormer of choice for taking care of tapes (due to the praziquantel).
Ok, so now I’m wondering if I could use something that only contains praziquantel (no ivermectin)? I found a koi fish wormer that is only praziquantel called “Prazi-Power Praziquantel Powder,” can this be used for chickens and how do I calculate the proper dosage?
Is there any benefit to having a combo of ivermectin with the praziquantel for tapes?
I’m probably overthinking my choices and should just get some Equimax to have on hand…:confused:

You'll have to read the label or call the manufacturer and ask them.

I've dealt with tapeworms often in chickens. I've used Albendazole, Zimecterin Gold and Equimax to treat them with success.

Do this when using Equimax: Withhold feeding your chickens for 24 hours prior to treating them with the Equimax. Do not let them free range, keep them penned up for a full 24 hours without feeding them. Dont worry, they arnt going to die of starvation. Make sure they have water to drink.

After 24 hours are up, early in the morning preferably, dose them with the Equimax one at a time.
Your birds will be very hungry, so will the tapeworms. You'll be feeding the tapeworms the wormer and it will kill them dead. It never fails.

Then wait 4 hours before feeding your chickens their feed. When you feed them, feed them a small ration at a time over the course of the afternoon, increasing the ration as you go until back to normal feeding later in the afternoon/early evening.

If you dont do this they will gorge their feed, possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.
Keep in mind that you still have to try to control insects in your environment, Good luck.
Very helpful thank you. I was looking to see when I feed them after the first dose. 4 hours in this small quantities Thank you! Also give them water is good info ❤️

Prior to using using albendazole and praziquantel, I used fenbendazole against tapeworms and it was ineffective.
Albendazole is effective in treating tapeworms IF:
Keep your birds penned and withhold feed for 24 hours.
Increase valbazen dosage 2 times the normal amount given for 3 days straight and repeat this procedure in 10 days.

Personally I like giving the z-gold or equimax for tapeworms. It takes less dosage and less time to kill tapeworms than valbazen, also less chance of aspirating the bird with so much liquid unless it's tubed.
I still withhold feed for 24 hours using either of the paste wormers for tapeworms only.
I am about to treat my infected hens with zgold for the first time, I was told treat once and then again in 14 days but you are saying withhold feed for 24 hours after both treatments? Also for how long do you not eat their eggs after first and second treatment?

Back
Top Bottom