Treating upper respiratory infections

thumbsup.gif

What is LA 120? if you don't mind my asking
Welcome to BYC! LA120? Don't think they make that the 120, but they do make la 200, and la 300. All three are injectable oxytetracycline.

200 = 200 mg/ml
300 = 300 mg/ml

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you for your good advice. We followed it and just gave all 14 birds their 3rd round of antibiotic injections...2 more to go. We see noticeable improvement-even in our sickest hen. I'm a nurse and was admittedly a little scared to give my chickens an injection. Once I gave the first one, the rest was easy. I was more nervous than they were. Bottom line -the injections of tylan 50 was the most effective way to save my girls! Thank you for your wise and true advice.

Hello,
Can anyone tell me how long after giving my chickens Duramycin in their water can I give them Tylan 50?
Thank you

Hi,
You should probably bypass the Terramycin and Duramycin-those versions are less strong, less effective than the Tylan 50-your goal right now is to subdue the symptoms so no secondary illness can take hold also
Tylan 50 will help your birds heal/recover from the cough, sneezing etc. BUT it will not cure it. Bottom line is your entire flock has been exposed now even though only some are showing outward signs of the illness. Chickens don't get 'colds', they get viruses and bacterial infections etc. MS and MG are the biggest offenders of respiratory issues. But you will only be guessing at what your birds have unless you take some live birds and dead birds to be necropsied by your local agricultural vet or exchange.

The best you can do besides testing for illness is to disinfect your waterers, feeders DAILY, and clean your roosts etc. and keep bedding as clean as possible. Give Tylan 50 injections (which work quickest & are more effective than oral doses) at a rate of 1/2cc subcutaneously into the breast for full size chickens & 1/4cc for bantam size (switching breast sides each injection) or to inject behind the neck between the shoulder blades subcutaneously 2x's per day for a duration of 5 days. The reason you inject 2x's a day is that Tylan 50 is effective in the system for a period of only about 8 hours. In more severe cases where your bird is struggling to breathe or is very very lethargic, you can give Tylan 50 every 3x's daily.

Injections can be intimidating. Google how to give a chicken an injection and you should find the exact step by step instructions. Tractor supply carries tylan 50, syringes, and you should use about a 22 gauge needle.

Isolating your sick from the 'healthy' ones while under treatment (even though they have all been exposed now) is recommended in order to reduce the airborne and direct swapping of fluids. Isolating will help control the spread of the symptoms, but your birds will always be carriers-there is no cure-no vaccinations to cure what disease they may have. "Vaccinations", only help control and reduce the symptoms of the illnesses=they do not eradicate the disease. You can reduce illness outbreaks by minimizing stress, practicing cleanliness, good nutrition, and antibiotics to reduce the chance of any secondary issues occurring.
You must be a vet or an RN? Intelligent info.

I got this chicken yesterday and I told the guy she’s got upper respiratory infection. He said no, just a dusty coop with 80 other chickens. She has one leg that points to the back and her other foot has toes pointing to the side. I wanted a friend for my one legged hen and this is who I got. Named her Chicklet. She’s quite friendly but I’m trying to help her with this rattle. I’m giving Oxytetracycline and rooster booster with penicillin. She’s super thirsty and eats well. Poop is ok. We don’t have a chicken vet and don’t even carry proper medications for chickens. I got what I got from the States. Think this will help. She’s already getting some colour back on her comb and wattles. She was light pink.

Respiratory diseases in chickens are usually chronic and make them carriers for life. I would not have brought this chicken home, since it could infect your others. The leg bone deformities can worsen with age. I don’t think I would get birds from that person again.

Respiratory diseases in chickens are usually chronic and make them carriers for life. I would not have brought this chicken home, since it could infect your others. The leg bone deformities can worsen with age. I don’t think I would get birds from that person again.
I wanted to post a video of her rattling but it wouldn’t let me. I had a rooster for 4 years with both legs shot. He lived a good long fw on his belly in the spare bedroom with another chicken with only one good leg. She just passed a few days ago and she was 3 years and 8 months. I got a one legged hen to keep her company after the roo passed and now I wanted a friend for the other new one. It looks like I’m really for the underdog here which might be true. I’m going to send the video to the guy and let him know to check his whole flock.

Back
Top Bottom