treating Vent Gleet in multiple Chickens

Matrajeous

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2022
Hello everyone! I have a question when it comes to vent gleet with chickens. I have read through the articles and posts about treating with probiotics, acidifying water, using anti-fungals per vent and oral, Metronidazole orally, and epsom salt/ or no epsom salt baths for cleaning. I had recently gone on vacation, and was away for over a week. During that time, as I'm sure it has been for most areas lately it has been super hot, so I had someone checking on the flock, collecting eggs, feeding and keeping everyone cool. I have a flock of 15 birds (14 hens and 1 rooster) 7 of which are Isa browns/ golden comets all 3 years of age and amazing layers, the other 8 all less than a year old Born in March and not laying yet to my knowledge are a mixed group of 2 black copper Marans, Starlight green egger, Prairie blue bell, Americauna, Ancona, Lavender orpington, and a Silver dorking rooster. when I cam home I found that at least 5 of my Isa brown/ golden comets have what looks to be vent gleet that i don't know how long the symptoms have been occurring for. there has been a decrease in the egg production from the adult Isa's and Goldens. I know common causes are dirty/ contaminated water but They have a large circulating water system made of two 55 gallon brute trash cans, PVC piping with watering nipples, and a recirculating pump so that there is no still free-standing water. The trash cans are clean there is no algae growth and they are covered so there is no external fecal material entering from over head flying birds. they are eating nutreana hearty hen for the increased protein (18%) that i have read isa browns and golden comets need, and since switching to it from Dumors I have noticed better egg quality. it has been switched over for more than 2 months now, but i have noticed that this vent gleet outbreak only started at some point while i was away on vacation i didn't see any signs of it before I left. My question is after reading through everything I have only seen treatment plans for treating one individual chicken at a time. Is there any, known way to do wide spread treatments so i can treat several birds at once????? whether it's putting anti-fungals in feed for everyone to eat, or give everyone yogurt with probiotics, I saw videos and have read remedies of putting bleach in the water to flush it out but that makes me nervous. Or am i Just doomed to have to try and scrounge a way to isolate 5 separate birds? This is the first time that I had anything like this with several birds being affected at one time and I have read for some reason Isa Browns and Golden Comets are susceptible to vent gleet so i figured it was my best shot to at least ask about a full flock treatment course, I don't know of a local vet in my immediate area that sees poultry either without having to travel a decent amount away. thank you in advance for any help

Do you have some photos of this? Vent gleet smells bad and often causes redness and irritation on the skin below the vent. Are you sure it's not just poop buildup?

Nystatin in the form of Medistatin is easy to administer to multiple hens by mixing it daily into their food.

You can order it here. https://jedds.com/search?type=produ...tions[unavailable_products]=last&q=Medistatin

Another option for treatment is acidified copper sulfate.

Do you have some photos of this? Vent gleet smells bad and often causes redness and irritation on the skin below the vent. Are you sure it's not just poop buildup?

Nystatin in the form of Medistatin is easy to administer to multiple hens by mixing it daily into their food.

You can order it here. https://jedds.com/search?type=product&options[prefix]=last&options[unavailable_products]=last&q=Medistatin

Another option for treatment is acidified copper sulfate.
I can get pictures in the morning but yes they have red bottoms, lost feathers, a cream colored coating below the cloaca, and poop built up in the feathers that are remaining.

I can get pictures in the morning but yes they have red bottoms, lost feathers, a cream colored coating below the cloaca, and poop built up in the feathers that are remaining.
in addition is there an egg withdrawl period that i should be discarding the eggs while the hens are being treated with the Nystatin powder or are the eggs still edible?

Here are the pictures from this morning of three of the birds that I was able to get a hold of before leaving for work. Just to give reference of what they look like.

Attachments

• FBE14250-DD51-4602-B849-A499805D7A89.jpeg
    FBE14250-DD51-4602-B849-A499805D7A89.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 69
  • E2AD8A55-6853-4444-805E-5B11A7CEE7DB.jpeg
    E2AD8A55-6853-4444-805E-5B11A7CEE7DB.jpeg
    539.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 4D4EAB31-0D7E-4DF2-90A9-5433ED83456A.jpeg
    4D4EAB31-0D7E-4DF2-90A9-5433ED83456A.jpeg
    587.6 KB · Views: 67
Yes, it appears they have vent gleet. Besides the Medistatin internally, you can get some miconazole and smooth it on the vent and the tissue below the vent. This will alleviate a lot of the itchng and burning and make them more comfortable. Get it at the pharmacy where the women's hygiene products are shelved.

To really top off the treatment, a probiotic such as acidophilus will restore good microbes to displace the yeast microbes in the hens' systems.

Yes, it appears they have vent gleet. Besides the Medistatin internally, you can get some miconazole and smooth it on the vent and the tissue below the vent. This will alleviate a lot of the itchng and burning and make them more comfortable. Get it at the pharmacy where the women's hygiene products are shelved.

To really top off the treatment, a probiotic such as acidophilus will restore good microbes to displace the yeast microbes in the hens' systems.
perfect thank you the Medistatin is ordered and on the way and I already have the Miconazole at home ready to go I will bick up som acidophilus at the store too. thank you again sooo much!

You can order it here. https://jedds.com/search?type=product&options[prefix]=last&options[unavailable_products]=last&q=Medistatin
This is what several of mine have too. I've got the medistatin, How do I calculate for 11 hens?

Back
Top Bottom