Treating with corid assumed cocci...

Bjjjones89

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
Ill make this a long story... so my meat chickens were in their brooder and were 3 weeks old. They are freedom rangers and not cornish x if it matters at all. I had to go run to my parents house and didnt check on them like i usually do i was gone about 2 hours. I came back and immediately checked on them they were out of water. I felt so bad as it had been getting rather warm in the garage. We are talking 90s which is obviously too warm to run out of water and in general. I also noticed the diarrhea anf they had been making their brooder super messy i was cleaning it 3x a day. One seemed very lethargic so i tried to give it some watet but it was very floppy couldnt stand i attempted to give it water and food and it just wouldnt do it. I went straight to tsc after setting up an isolation box for the sick one. And bought corid after doing some reading here on the forum i looked up dosing elsewhere... big mistake... the site told me chicks get 1tsp per 5 gallons so i was like i dont have a 1/5th tsp so a scant 1/4th will have to do per gallon. Treated with that for 3 days and another one comes up super sick... no wonder dosing is way too low compared to the 1.5 tsp per gallon yall suggest. Some started getting a bit better a little more color on the combs. But some are still pretty pale. Been doing the 1.5tsp for 2 days but my super sick one is still hanging on yet getting worse it had been eating when hand fed. Drinking was a bit more rough i have a bulb dropper and ive been giving it drops at the side of its mouth and he'd drink a bit and id but the corid water in his food to make a gruel and he would eat. Hes kinda turned for the worst. He still has some blood in his poo is now refusing to eat and attempting to get away from me i did do a corid drench last night and this afternoon as a last ditch effort. He flaps his wings to move around and cant walk and is now face planting. Im beginning to wonder if im not dealing with cocci. But maybe because i treated with a low dose for a full course and am now doing the higher dose he has some.vitamin deficiency that i cant really treat without treating the cocci first and im stuck. Even thought this is a meat chicken I absolutely want to give them the best life so im not quite giving up but i dont really know what to do beyond what im already doing. And i was surprised he was still alive this morning to be honest. But my remaining flock is also still having some pale combs so should i continue the corid for 7 days im on day 3 now
20230715_143225.jpg
20230715_143240.jpg
20230715_140710.jpg
20230715_140705.jpg
here you can see it has a paler comb than the others
20230715_140702.jpg

Attachments

• 20230715_143225.jpg
    20230715_143225.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 35
I was a little confused as it sounded like they were dehydrated and perhaps had heat exhaustion being at 90F and no water, then you treated them with Corid. Then mention blood in the poop. I'm not sure what you have there, but here's a chart I saved for if treating with Corid, both liquid and powder directions.

Attachments

• Corid dosage chart.jpg
    Corid dosage chart.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 36
Sorry it was really hard to formulate and tell the process while my child was screaming at me to pay attention to her. But at first i thought it was heat due to the situation and then I was looking into things and coccidiosis came up when browsing the forum here. I looked it up and the boxes seemed to be ticking for coccidiosis despite the heat issue. But the heat issue was my first thought. I do believe its cocci. But this chicken is just hanging on for dear life. Its been 3 days since he could walk right and he just isnt giving up he did eat and drink tonight hand fed. The others seem to be doing good and no bright bloody stool but its still loose and dark colored for some of them which im well aware could be blood as well.

Sorry it was really hard to formulate and tell the process while my child was screaming at me to pay attention to her. But at first i thought it was heat due to the situation and then I was looking into things and coccidiosis came up when browsing the forum here. I looked it up and the boxes seemed to be ticking for coccidiosis despite the heat issue. But the heat issue was my first thought. I do believe its cocci. But this chicken is just hanging on for dear life. Its been 3 days since he could walk right and he just isnt giving up he did eat and drink tonight hand fed. The others seem to be doing good and no bright bloody stool but its still loose and dark colored for some of them which im well aware could be blood as well.
Did your little chick make it? I've recently given corid for coccidiosis. I lost 2 really quick before I could hardly get the corid. I think I would have lost more except that a friend helped me figure how to source vitamin k1 also. K1 helps blood clot. I couldn't find a vitamin for chickens short of a multi with b vitamins (undesirable when using corid due to thiamine) or injectable. So I have a mega dose of human tablets that I crushed, mixed with homemade kefir, and added to their feed. It turned the bleeding around really quickly.

This is the article I used for vitamin k dosing:
https://www.chickenfans.com/vitamin-k-chickens/

We ended up euthanizing him. I nursed him for 3 weeks he started getting better but it was a ton if plateauing and he started getting some mobility but just wouldn't weight bare. But he started attacking me when I'd feed him and was just getting kind of mean. He was already so far behind the others. He/she was a meat bird and i would not of butchered it even if it got better so we decided it was better for everyone.honestly i tried for far too long but I kept seeing small improvements that made it a hard decision.

We ended up euthanizing him. I nursed him for 3 weeks he started getting better but it was a ton if plateauing and he started getting some mobility but just wouldn't weight bare. But he started attacking me when I'd feed him and was just getting kind of mean. He was already so far behind the others. He/she was a meat bird and i would not of butchered it even if it got better so we decided it was better for everyone.honestly i tried for far too long but I kept seeing small improvements that made it a hard decision.
I think you did the right thing. I can imagine how hard of a decision that was.

I think you did the right thing. I can imagine how hard of a decision that was.
It was I went into these meat birds wanting to do what is right by them and raise healthier happier birds than the grocery store. But in all honesty he would have been picked off by a predator had i not intervened. So I feel good about trying at least

Back
Top Bottom