Treatment of coop for red mites.

JohnNada

Hatching
Sep 27, 2023
I keep reading elector PSP is the best spray to treat a coop for red mites, is there anything more affordable out there that actually works? Has anyone had any luck with ivermectin?

Ivermectin is for internal parasites and I don’t know the dosage or if it is safe for chickens - can’t see why not. I gave it to my horse and give the same paste (divided up appropriately) to my dog who loves to eat deer poop. Ugh! 1 tube/1,200 pounds!

Here is a link to the chicken chick who sells Elector PSP in small amounts for those who have few chickens. (I’ve heard that it won’t go bad and others say it will.) So, I ordered two 9 ml. to have on hand. 2ml/26 oz. water in spray bottle is what I was told.
https://shopthechickenchick.com/pro...Lp45VkBH3xrP-Bt_BEEKtj0U_CO2E6CGneKi1UpK2lf-c

Or … YOU can go into business buying a large jug and selling it, too! ;-)

I keep reading elector PSP is the best spray to treat a coop for red mites, is there anything more affordable out there that actually works? Has anyone had any luck with ivermectin?
I could be wrong, but I don't think Ivermectin will work for red mites as they live in the coop, not on the bird - they come out at night to feed on roosting birds and then go back into the cracks and crevices of the coop(although if they bite the bird with Ivermectin on it, maybe 🤷‍♀️).... Elector PSP or permetherin are the go-to for most mite infestations (applied to the bird, clean and thoroughly treat the coop).

I put a lb of elemental sulfur powder in the dust bath...10lbs of dust bath material if making. Mine dig holes, I add a lb and stir. Can also dust the roosts and crevices.
http://entomologytoday.org/2016/07/18/battling-chicken-mites-with-bags-of-brimstone/

Yes! I've been using sulfur as a preventative since I first read about it! It can also be placed in a sachet and hung above the coop door so the birds get dusted a bit each time they walk into/out of the coop.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Ivermectin will work for red mites as they live in the coop, not on the bird - they come out at night to feed on roosting birds and then go back into the cracks and crevices of the coop(although if they bite the bird with Ivermectin on it, maybe 🤷‍♀️).... Elector PSP or permetherin are the go-to for most mite infestations (applied to the bird, clean and thoroughly treat the coop).
Thanks, I just read randomly on the internet that some people are spraying their coops with pour on ivermectin.

Back
Top Bottom