Treats and leftovers

Hi I am a new chick owner and have been learning what to feed mine, I have one Rhode Island Red, two Silkies, one black one white, one black Cochin and one tiny, black Pekin.

The last two I have only had four/five days and the others since the middle of September, I bought them all for my Birthday thinking then, my husband couldn't be too cross with me! (but he still was!)

I let mine feed on chicken feed during the morning, then they might have some soaked bread, then later on some mashed veggie leftovers and before bed time, they have porrige or ready brek and love it! I just pray this is all okay for them, they also have tomatoes and grapes cut in half and corn! and are all adorable and rush to meet me in their pen as I call out 'chook, chook, chook' the neighbours think I am mad, so does my hubbie, maybe I am, mad and happy!
yippiechickie.gif

Chez,

You are perfectly normal. I'm spending way too much time out at the chicken pen and just today taught my white crested polish to jump up on my shoulder for a meal worm. The rest are still a little skittish but the meal worms are definately a hit. Same with corn on the cob, they all will sit on my lap for that if I'm in a chair. So, don't feel like you're weird because if you are, that means the rest of us on this site are weird too. lol

It's just hard to imagine chickens eating human food but I love the whole idea of taking things out to them and watching them enjoy it. I hope my girls start to get excited to see me every evening after dinner.

Redfeathers-I've found that chickens love people food. LOL I walk up to the coop, and Big Momma (My RIR hen) looks at my hands to see if I have any scraps. Heaven forbid my hands do not hold a dish, folded up paper towel, etc. LOL

They love cantaloupe, watermelon, apples, bread, spaghetti, mac and cheese, rice, Cracker Barrel leftovers, you name it. Have fun feeding your babies!!
tongue.png

Tonight my chickens feasted on some leftover stale pumpkin bread. They really liked it! They seem to like most everything. The crusts of grilled cheese sandwiches and pizza seem to be items to fight over. They are so funny. They also like oats. They run right over to me if they hear the oats container.... not exactly a leftover, but a treat for them. They will stick their heads right into the container to get it.

They have more varied food tastes than my teenagers do, that's for sure!
lol.png

Amazing, at my house there is never ever any left over pumpkin bread. My poor chickens will never get to try it.
smile.png

They did get some cooked yam tonight, seemed to be a big hit.

Quote:
My chickens free ranged under my peach tree all summer and never hurt themselves on the pit. I would like to say that I picked upall the peach drops, but I know that I didn't. They ate a lot of peaches.

mine free range. while this gives them lots of bugs and everything else, i also find that since they get so much excercise they don't mind some food offered. the goats give good chase if in the mood.

i feed pretty much any kind of leftover. i dont' differentiate. sort of slopping a hog. it just all goes together and then they pick out what they want. a typical day might be leftover oatmeal, old grapes, vegetable peelings and leftover baked potatos. if it's in the summer, i might not feed anything at all for several days or even a week. they stick around though and sleep in the tree at night. so i guess they are happy critters.

in the fall and winter like now, i add in feed. i am trying to grow grasshoppers this year in a tub and we'll see how it works. we'll see. i think they would love mid winter hoppers. i just caught ones that were mating and tossed them in with pulled weeds and such. so far they are all still alive. dont' know if they will actually have the babies in there though.

Back
Top Bottom