Treats/Foods

Awesome! Thank you so much, every one!
I definitely want to spoil them a bit with treats šŸ˜ Looks like I have a few things to get this weekend.

I will try to update post (hopefully with pictures) with their first treat attempt. Definitely going to try watermelon first. It is definitely too hot and I'm sure they'll appreciate the cool treat.

Awesome! Thank you so much, every one!
I definitely want to spoil them a bit with treats šŸ˜ Looks like I have a few things to get this weekend.

I will try to update post (hopefully with pictures) with their first treat attempt. Definitely going to try watermelon first. It is definitely too hot and I'm sure they'll appreciate the cool treat.

Yes please do let us know. Closer to about 18 weeks I would suggest doing the oyster shells to help with their calcium levels.

I even read, "Even if your hens stop laying while they are molting, broody, or taking a break during the winter, you should continue offering oyster shell.
It will help to strengthen their bones and make it possible for them to lay stronger, more numerous eggs later in the season." (Source)

But of course it's a difference of opinions. I think they are smart enough to know when they need and how much I just don't mix it with their feed because it is non essential for those who don't need it, so a "Free-Will" dish works fine for us. We are on our 3rd set of chickens getting ready to lay. Can't wait to see pictures and best wishes on your journey.

Yes please do let us know. Closer to about 18 weeks I would suggest doing the oyster shells to help with their calcium levels.

I even read, "Even if your hens stop laying while they are molting, broody, or taking a break during the winter, you should continue offering oyster shell.
It will help to strengthen their bones and make it possible for them to lay stronger, more numerous eggs later in the season." (Source)

But of course it's a difference of opinions. I think they are smart enough to know when they need and how much I just don't mix it with their feed because it is non essential for those who don't need it, so a "Free-Will" dish works fine for us. We are on our 3rd set of chickens getting ready to lay. Can't wait to see pictures and best wishes on your journey.
They are so smart. I agree with the 18 weeks only because that's when Purina suggests to change to layer feed.

They are so smart. I agree with the 18 weeks only because that's when Purina suggests to change to layer feed.
Yeah, we have one out of the bunch that started laying last week, and I'm like come on ya'll. Give us some eggs. There are 14 of them, so we are excited every day to check their nesting box. We got them all at the same time. So Dolly, Our Ayam Cemani, is the first, the rest are just chillin, lol.

Yeah, we have one out of the bunch that started laying last week, and I'm like come on ya'll. Give us some eggs. There are 14 of them, so we are excited every day to check their nesting box. We got them all at the same time. So Dolly, Our Ayam Cemani, is the first, the rest are just chillin, lol.
Awesome! Those first eggs are so exciting. I have 5 about 9 months old and 3 more coming soon.

I would love to have a rooster and hatch my own eggs. But I like to have different breeds of hens and would want a bunch of mutts. Lol
Yeah, We keep our roosters separate. We are the same way, we have a specific pen/coop called, "The Love Shack," That way we know what the breed is. Our farm was just inspected two weeks ago to aid us in showing, selling, etc. So it's been a pretty fun and exciting time.

Yeah, We keep our roosters separate. We are the same way, we have a specific pen/coop called, "The Love Shack," That way we know what the breed is. Our farm was just inspected two weeks ago to aid us in showing, selling, etc. So it's been a pretty fun and exciting time.
I need a love shack! That is exciting. I originally wanted 3 chickens. Got 5. And have 3 more coming... I don't know what happened. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom