Treats/Foods

I put out a mister 2 days ago. It's been hot and I thought they might like it. The first day they wouldn't even go to that side of the yard. Yesterday they went to that side but nowhere near it. I'm sure today they will go look at it closer. Tomorrow they will probably go give it a peck. Lol.
I’m hoping that mine like one because I’m getting ours one. Don’t see how they can tolerate this years heat without one. It is just almost unbearably hot here. I would hate to lose them before they got started out in life good enough yet. They haven’t even been outdoors enough long. This heat is killing me and I have been used to it all my 5 decades of life and there have been some terrible many Deep South Summers which I could have traded for many winters in this place. Ugh! Some years the thought makes me sweat!

Yes please do let us know. Closer to about 18 weeks I would suggest doing the oyster shells to help with their calcium levels.

I even read, "Even if your hens stop laying while they are molting, broody, or taking a break during the winter, you should continue offering oyster shell.
It will help to strengthen their bones and make it possible for them to lay stronger, more numerous eggs later in the season." (Source)

But of course it's a difference of opinions. I think they are smart enough to know when they need and how much I just don't mix it with their feed because it is non essential for those who don't need it, so a "Free-Will" dish works fine for us. We are on our 3rd set of chickens getting ready to lay. Can't wait to see pictures and best wishes on your journey.
Yes, we have 2 leghorns who are supposed to lay sooner than the others. We also have 1 welsummer and 3 Red pullets. Our rooster is also a Welsummer.

To be honest, I lost track in how old they are 😂 I know we bought them in April. Husband said around Easter. Supposedly they were about a week old when we purchased them.

I am curious about something though. Do pullets "mature" around the same time?
I ask because our 2 Leghorns are supposedly the same age, but one of them is getting their red features a bit faster? (I forgot the proper name for it lol I think one of them is comb)
I added pics below. So it made us wonder if perhaps one of our leghorns is a male. Although our Welsummer male has showed "rooster" signs weeks ago. And they're all supposed to be around the same age. Unless it's different for each breed? IMG_20200715_153145633.jpg IMG_20200715_153255653.jpg

I’m hoping that mine like one because I’m getting ours one. Don’t see how they can tolerate this years heat without one. It is just almost unbearably hot here. I would hate to lose them before they got started out in life good enough yet. They haven’t even been outdoors enough long. This heat is killing me and I have been used to it all my 5 decades of life and there have been some terrible many Deep South Summers which I could have traded for many winters in this place. Ugh! Some years the thought makes me sweat!
Can a picture of misters be posted?
Curious in looking into it now.
Our coop and run is covered so it doesn't get much direct sun but that doesn't mean it isn't too hot still!

Yes, we have 2 leghorns who are supposed to lay sooner than the others. We also have 1 welsummer and 3 Red pullets. Our rooster is also a Welsummer.

To be honest, I lost track in how old they are 😂 I know we bought them in April. Husband said around Easter. Supposedly they were about a week old when we purchased them.

I am curious about something though. Do pullets "mature" around the same time?
I ask because our 2 Leghorns are supposedly the same age, but one of them is getting their red features a bit faster? (I forgot the proper name for it lol I think one of them is comb)
I added pics below. So it made us wonder if perhaps one of our leghorns is a male. Although our Welsummer male has showed "rooster" signs weeks ago. And they're all supposed to be around the same age. Unless it's different for each breed? View attachment 2245844View attachment 2245848
I’m not the best at breeds, but I would say that’s a roo. Hopefully you are okay but there are more brilliant people than me when it comes to breeds. Just an educated guess, lol.

Back
Top Bottom