Treats for 2 week old chicks

The oatmeal I bought is old fashioned rolled oats. Is that gonna be alright if made right and mushy? Just water added, or do you add anything else?
The old fashioned oats will be fine. Usually I just cook them up with water. But every now and then I'll stir in a small bit of molasses or peanut butter. They LOVE it! Although, be prepared for young chicks to be wary of any new offerings at first. Usually you'll get a brave one that will dash in and try it and then the fun is on.
lau.gif

ETA: My first chicks were scared of EVERYTHING. They would run screaming from flies... One day I decided to give them a watermelon rind and see what they did. At first they ran screaming in terror and hid in the corner. Finally, one got brave and ventured over for a quick peck and run away. She didn't run far before heading back and leaping right smack in the middle of the rind. After that it was a free for all. They were such a mess that they had to have a bath after. But boy did they have fun.
gig.gif

Last edited:
x2!! A lot of people will say that they shouldn't have any treats but eggs until they are at least 8-12 weeks, but I just don't agree with that. I've had quite a few clutches raised in the flock by mama hens and those babies are out foraging and eating whatever mama eats from the first time they leave the nest. They always grow up big and healthy, so why should brooder babies be any different? Just be sure they get proper grit to be able to digest. I give mine sprouts, meal worms (chopped up at first), oatmeal, egg, chopped cooked spaghetti, yogurt, fresh fruit or veggies from the garden, etc. Do keep in mind though, that these are treats and shouldn't be given in large quantities.
I like your reasoning. It seems sound. I am raising my first clutch of baby hens, and it’s logical based upon observing baby chicks with their mothers. Thank you for this advice.

Back
Top Bottom