Treats for 2 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wxguru, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Question on what I can give the 2 week old chicks now that they are walking around "scratching" in the 2" deep pine bedding. I have a bag of dried meal worms, and unbelievably, they don't really show interest. They will tear up a boiled egg though!

I would like to know what are suitable treats for 2 week olds that can be tossed into the litter so they can enjoy scratching and finding the goodies. Thanks in advance!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Chicks really aren't supposed to have "treats" until they reach 8 weeks. They usually don't accept treats either until around that age. You can, however, give them cooked egg anytime. That is one treat that is ok to feed whenever. They can also have a little amount of mealworms. Otherwise, just stick to chick feed.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    If you feed them anything other than chick feed, you need to give them chick grit. Gran-I-Grit out of North Carolina makes an excellent one. you can get 50 lbs. for under about 7 dollars. I get mine at Agway. Here ya go: all 3 posts.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry
    Another treat they can get at this age is diced 4-7 day old sprouted oats. 1-3 days old won't do. There's a nutritional change that takes place in the sprout on the 4th day which makes them more valuable to the chicks. Older than 7 days and you run the risk of the sprouts going sour. Use Forage Oats , not feed oats. I use Plotspike Forage Oats. Developed circa 2002 at Louisiana State University. Get them at Tractor Supply Company for 24.99 for 50 lbs. Less for the 25 lb. bag. http://www.plotspike.com/
    2x the price from Wal-Mart : http://www.walmart.com/ip/PlotSpike-Forage-Oats/22854224
    Read about the value plus whys/hows of sprouted oats here Pages 24 thru 29.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/425134/anybody-raise-sprouts-to-feed-the-chickens/230
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  4. Wxguru

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    THANK YOU both for your feedback! When I give the mealworms, I also throw grit in the feeder too so they are getting grit before or during the mealworms...when they decide to try them, but so far they seem less than impressed.
    They will literally fight each other over the egg though.
    I will look for the grain. I can do some of that growing. That is always fun. [​IMG]

5. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I put grit in the dust bath area for them. When they were under two weeks, I chopped up the meal worms. Now, at 3-6 weeks, they can take whole ones.

I also give mine warm steal cut oatmeal (w/grit mixed in) and clover sprouts, which they love. They go through an incredible amount of chick feed, but I personally think imitating a natutal forging diet has to be good for them.

6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    x2!! A lot of people will say that they shouldn't have any treats but eggs until they are at least 8-12 weeks, but I just don't agree with that. I've had quite a few clutches raised in the flock by mama hens and those babies are out foraging and eating whatever mama eats from the first time they leave the nest. They always grow up big and healthy, so why should brooder babies be any different? Just be sure they get proper grit to be able to digest. I give mine sprouts, meal worms (chopped up at first), oatmeal, egg, chopped cooked spaghetti, yogurt, fresh fruit or veggies from the garden, etc. Do keep in mind though, that these are treats and shouldn't be given in large quantities.

1 person likes this.
  7. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    My chicks absolutely love when I add water to their existing feed. I just take a little soy sauce dish, and mix about a teaspoon of water with some feed. It looks like oatmeal. Lately I've been using non-flavored yogurt instead of water, but they don't seem to care. So long as the food isn't dry, they flip for it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  8. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I usually ferment my feed (for chicks and adults). But if for some reason I can't at the time, I wet the chick crumble also. They seem to GREATLY prefer it over the dry crumble. I think it helps to keep them hydrated better too.

9. Wxguru

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    The oatmeal I bought is old fashioned rolled oats. Is that gonna be alright if made right and mushy? Just water added, or do you add anything else?

10. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I wouldn't add anything but water to the oats. I will add that I am not giving any more yogurt to my chicks, since their poop is too stinky now! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by