Treats for 2 week olds?

I'm very new to chicks... 1st time mama. I have a 1/4 acre pond covered in duckweed. I dried some of it and gave it to my girls and they love it.

I posted at the end of someone's thread but not getting much on replies, I am just wondering what I can offer for treats to 2 week old chicks. Oh and yeah, I know, they need to fill up on chick starter not treats. lol I'm just looking to make friends with them. :p So, I called vet and all she could say was mashed green beans, and she didn't sound very certain about that. I really want something to get them to be a little more comfy around me, seems like the forums say do it with food. So, are mealworms on the menu yet? Or are they too young for that? Whats ok at 2 weeks? Thank you guys! :D
I give mine mashed up hard boiled eggs. I have 7 chicks and they get about 1 TBS a day. I use the whites and the yokes, they love it! But was also wondering what else to offer. Thanks for all the tips!

Last edited:
I feed mine crickets. I just put a little tupperware lid with some sand in the brooder so they have some grit and then I pinch the crickets and offer them to the chicks. It took them a min to realize that it wasnt a trick and they all started fightin to see who would get to the cricket first. I only do it about once a week so they dont get too full off them but it seems to help them warm up to me for at least a few mins. Until they realize Im out of crickets lol. Ive also given worms and grubs with the heads cut off.
Looove the cricket idea. There are cricket traps you can make, but I'm too disorganized. One day though, I want my own supply.

I start giving my chicks Horseherb at 2 weeks old, along with extra fine grit, like what they sell for small birds. As they grow I transition them to a chick grit which is coarser.They LOVE it! I try not to give them stems only leaves. I hold it by the stem and let them eat from my hand.
Calypt_vial_3-2004_1009.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom