Treats for Chicks

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
Now that my babies are a week old is there any treats I could give them? My granddaugher gave them a wheatie
hu.gif
this morning they all grabed it but none of them ate it. Coud you give me any idea's. Thanks Ginbart

I dont know, I have some that are 3 days oul & happy as a lark. I went to the field & cut the tops out of some wheat stalks -still green & they had a ball with it I also threw a few popcorns in from the movie .. That would make a great video they grabbed the popcorn & played keep away. But I don't have a clue as if this is acceptable or not.... It just breaks up the boredom I think.

OK, I was about ready to jump out of my chair and flog my house. Your bug scared the heck out of me. LOL. We are still cold here and the temp outside is only 40 so I can't get anything outside. I think I will try the popcorn without salt. Or I may try Cheerieo's. Thanks
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

My chicks have some definite favorites, the top picks seem to all start with 'C'...maybe cause their Chicks? Number one on their list: cucumbers (quartered), then cauliflower (Florets) and cabbage (quartered). They also like celery (sticks and chopped) and carrots (chopped only). Crickets and mealworms were also a hit. Oh yea, and since they were very young they have always, and still do, love dry oatmeal. I give them extra grit, just to assure they can digest what I give them. When they turned 3 weeks I put a pan of dirt in with them, they love to dig in it and find their own grit. I mix it up with a little extra grit every day. They also dust in it and kick it all over, but they are in the basement so its okay.
Hope that helps.

I have always given mine yogurt, sliced appel, and a little carrot cake every once in awhile.

However; I have had chicks not accept the yogurt...but others have...
hmm.png
.. the ones who did accept it LOVED IT! Especially the kind with little bits of fruit in it!
lol.png

I gave my two week old chicks cooked macaroni from an easy mac packet (without the cheese). They loved it! Only did it once and probably won't do it for a while but it was fun. I don't want to hurt their growth so chick feed is it for now. They played keep away.

I've been adding a little water to cap full of chick starter and they seem to like it as a treat. All 8 will encircle the cap and finish it in a few minutes. I also added a coffee can full of shavings today and left it in mound form. In a few seconds, a few were diving in, playing king of the hill and in no time had it spread out pretty even.

The tops of the wheat is still green. They pick & have a ball with it. If a chick gets a seed off the stalk its a race for life Every one wants it and is ready to fight for it . they run & chase each other & squalk!
lol.png
they are funny birds. Today is there 5th day

Back
Top Bottom