Treats for older chicks -- what do yours like?

Mine take a few introductions to decide whether they like things. Just like toddlers! They are wild for diced up cherry tomatoes from the garden. They also LOVE a serving of their starter feed mixed with plain yogurt. We've tried broccoli, cucumber, banana, and grapes but only once. Need to retry those things. I've introduced dried mealworms a bunch. They do NOT like those. Banana they didn't like the feel of on their beaks - kept cleaning off their beaks. Funny!

String cheese. And I do not "throw" anything in, I sit and they must come to me and take it from my hand. That way I can get a good look at everyone, and they are very tame.

String cheese. And I do not "throw" anything in, I sit and they must come to me and take it from my hand. That way I can get a good look at everyone, and they are very tame.
I tried that yesterday. They acted like I was going to snatch them up, except my roo. but even he just ignored my hand

Mine enjoy Watermelon (they devour it), Tomato's (they like to play with them before eating), Cucumbers, Strawberries, Rasberries mealworms and grasshoppers....I've tried those treats you can buy at tractor supply....They are seed bricks and my girls don't even bother with them....They go over and look then walk away

I tried a tomato last night and I finally got the chasing and amusement I wanted! They like tomatoes!
wee.gif
I put wheat bread in there and they liked that too. But not as much as that tomato.

Once a month or so, I throw a BUGFEST! We order a case of crickets, mealworms and then add some red crawlers from the bait store and throw them out in a pile and watch our girls go crazy for them. Smaller chicks really love watermelon chunks. We raise Holland, Sultan and Deleware, we also have Chocolate Turkeys and ring neck pheasants. Love my birds

Once a month or so, I throw a BUGFEST! We order a case of crickets, mealworms and then add some red crawlers from the bait store and throw them out in a pile and watch our girls go crazy for them. Smaller chicks really love watermelon chunks. We raise Holland, Sultan and Deleware, we also have Chocolate Turkeys and ring neck pheasants. Love my birds
What are red crawlers? I let my chicks out in the big coop a few days ago while the weather was nice and they were eating the mean ants that bite. Is that okay for them to eat? What about stink bugs and earwigs?

Mine loved (and still do to this day) to follow me around in my yard and watch for me to spot a grasshopper. As soon as I would bend down in the grass they all would mob me and help dig around where I was looking to help me find and catch it :lol: they also go nuts for apples. I slice them up and give them the slices.

Back
Top Bottom