Treats for older chicks -- what do yours like?

OScarlet

Songster
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
Ours are coming up for a month and five weeks (I think) and are getting some treats. They often take a couple of tries (more than one day) before they decide on whether they like it.

Favourites so far seem to be jellified chia seeds (a riot in the coop) and red cabbage sprouts -- ditto. A japanese beetle caused much excitement today but I'm not sure if they ate it or just pecked it and then ran away scared if it tried to fly.

So-so on mealworms and sunflower seeds and egg (except one chick), ditto yogurt. Watermelon rinds though while not as important as chia seeds or red cabbage sprouts is also well received. They also like other sprouts and peas (fresh or frozen).

What do yours like to eat? What don't they like?

I tried a tomato last night and I finally got the chasing and amusement I wanted! They like tomatoes!
wee.gif
I put wheat bread in there and they liked that too. But not as much as that tomato.

I gave my 5 week olds their first treats today. This morning I put a Ritz cracker in the brooder and they nibbled a little. When I took them out to the big coop to play and get used to it, I brought out a small watermelon-cold. They didn't even try to eat it. I thought after reading all the forums about treats and watermelons that they would devour it.

I was disappointed
he.gif

Finally after about 5 minutes one hen started pecking so they all joined in. They played with it for awhile and ate some. I wanted this great big frenzy everyone keeps talking about
hu.gif

I thought the same with the really gross dried mealworms I bought. Mine are like 'eh' but the chia seeds, I think one is going to beat up another for the chance of a couple of chia seeds, the red cabbage sprouts are a case for chicken football with one stealing from another.

I thought the same with the really gross dried mealworms I bought. Mine are like 'eh' but the chia seeds, I think one is going to beat up another for the chance of a couple of chia seeds, the red cabbage sprouts are a case for chicken football with one stealing from another.
LMAO that is what I want to see! I will have to try different things I guess. I just wish they weren't so slow to peck at treats I bring them. Hopefully I can find a few treats they love enough to sit on my lap for. Brats!
I read someone on here suspended a whole cabbage from a string and let them go at it. I am trying that for sure. The only thing I will not try is meat. And definitely not eggs! That's just wrong. I know lots of people do it but I am not one of them.

I bought the sprouts as a mixed sprouts box for our sandwiches from Trader Joes and pecky (our BO chick) saw them in my sandwich and jumped out of the coup and into my lap to try and steal one so I pulled a few different ones out. Now I have to find organic red cabbage seeds!

I bought the sprouts as a mixed sprouts box for our sandwiches from Trader Joes and pecky (our BO chick) saw them in my sandwich and jumped out of the coup and into my lap to try and steal one so I pulled a few different ones out. Now I have to find organic red cabbage seeds!
LOL it was the red color probably. Hey at least they are totally healthy. BUT they will get pricey. I would make it a once a month treat if that. At least it was only one.

my cochins like romaine lettuce, mealworms, scratch, and certain bread..picky boogers like the really good stuff i dont like sharing but i give in cause they give such pitiful looks and beg so well

Grapes. Every chicken I know would kill for a grape. Second place a fat, juicy grasshopper. Tomatoes, cut up green (broccoli and brussels sprouts are the faves), tomatoes, melon rind (water honeydew, cantaloupe.. all the stuff we grow). Mealworms, of course. They also like strawberries. We move our coop and fences around and they are great for getting rid of dandelions in the yard too. We throw out our corncobs tpp and they clean them up. If one of the cats catches a mouse and doesn't eat it, we toss them out there too. Our first flock would attack and eat small snakes.

Back
Top Bottom