Watery Diarrhea in 3.5 Wk Old Chick(s)

Any updates? How are your babies doing?
Everyone is still alive, alert, active, and eating well. I pulled the probiotic. The next day I saw a dark brown, not quite as watery. Not seeing any evidence of what I saw before now.

Next challenge is how to keep cool. We are going to get to 99 and 100 here over the weekend and early next week, and coupled with the high humidity in south Louisiana, it may be more than they can handle. The only thing I know to do is to double up on everything I have been doing to give them relief from the heat.

Thanks for asking!

Everyone is still alive, alert, active, and eating well. I pulled the probiotic. The next day I saw a dark brown, not quite as watery. Not seeing any evidence of what I saw before now.

Next challenge is how to keep cool. We are going to get to 99 and 100 here over the weekend and early next week, and coupled with the high humidity in south Louisiana, it may be more than they can handle. The only thing I know to do is to double up on everything I have been doing to give them relief from the heat.

Thanks for asking!
I’m so glad they’re doing good!

Ice blocks work well for cooling. I made big ones with some old plastic canisters but you can use sour cream cups and such, bigger is better. If you put them in a shallow bowl, I used a wide shallow feed bowl from the feed store, they can stand in the water and sip it as it melts. Also, some damp soil to bathe in, or even a mud puddle, both work well.

I’m so glad they’re doing good!

Ice blocks work well for cooling. I made big ones with some old plastic canisters but you can use sour cream cups and such, bigger is better. If you put them in a shallow bowl, I used a wide shallow feed bowl from the feed store, they can stand in the water and sip it as it melts. Also, some damp soil to bathe in, or even a mud puddle, both work well.
That is very close to what I have been doing. I have been freezing a gallon jug of water and putting it in the coop with a small fan on it. It seems to cool the air in the immediate vicinity just a bit, and they drink the cold condensation on the side of the bottle. I am going to be freezing extra jugs and putting in 2 to 3 at a time, and change them after a few hours to try to keep a the worst of the heat down, even if in just a small area of the coop. I assume they will find the coolest place, and not just hang out in the run in 100 degree heat. I'll also make sure they have cold mush a couple of times a day. And I am moving the stand fan from my porch, and will put it in the coop window. that will provide a good breeze blowing in and across the gallon jugs. I fully expect the heat index in the upper 120's, given the 120 heat index at just 95 and 95 degrees.

That is very close to what I have been doing. I have been freezing a gallon jug of water and putting it in the coop with a small fan on it. It seems to cool the air in the immediate vicinity just a bit, and they drink the cold condensation on the side of the bottle. I am going to be freezing extra jugs and putting in 2 to 3 at a time, and change them after a few hours to try to keep a the worst of the heat down, even if in just a small area of the coop. I assume they will find the coolest place, and not just hang out in the run in 100 degree heat. I'll also make sure they have cold mush a couple of times a day. And I am moving the stand fan from my porch, and will put it in the coop window. that will provide a good breeze blowing in and across the gallon jugs. I fully expect the heat index in the upper 120's, given the 120 heat index at just 95 and 95 degrees.
Wooo that’s HOT! We seem to be on the same page lol. We were at 119 for a few days recently with overnight lows in the 90’s. I can definitely relate, although when we have that heat it’s not humid here. While the chicks may struggle a little bit they’ll be ok, you’re doing a great job! Got any pics? You know we love pictures here :D

Wooo that’s HOT! We seem to be on the same page lol. We were at 119 for a few days recently with overnight lows in the 90’s. I can definitely relate, although when we have that heat it’s not humid here. While the chicks may struggle a little bit they’ll be ok, you’re doing a great job! Got any pics? You know we love pictures here :D
I'll start a thread with pics, because I do not know which are easter eggers, and which are olive eggers. Not sure if they can be differentiated, but if anyone can help, it will be the members here! I totally love their little personalities.

4 am
73558376-D6D8-4FF3-AD22-10BEEB8D88C8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom