Watery Diarrhea in 3.5 Wk Old Chick(s)

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
This morning when I went to open up all the coop windows and put feed in for the babies, I noticed a brown watery substance on one of the roosting bars and ladder. There is no fecal matter in it, just all water. I assume this is watery diarrhea from at least one chick. Only one place on the bar.

The chicks had been getting medicated feed until 2 to 3 days ago, when I switched over to regular starter crumbles. They had been on the medicated for the almost two weeks in the coop, but since they are not going outside yet, I switched over to regular. (The 10 chicks are the only ones in the coop, new, never had other chickens in it.) They have both fresh water, and electrolyte water. Yesterday, I added a probiotic to the electrolyte water. The ony treat is a cold mash from their crumbles on hot days, a few mealworms ever 3 to 4 days, and 3 days ago, I gave them a small piece of frozen watermelon. Small, as in approx 1.5 inches square. I think it is only 1, maybe 2 chicks, as it wasn't everywhere, but it was not light enough to see how much was on the sand in the coop. This morning, after seeing that, I went back to the medicated crumbles. All were eating well, no one looked like they didn't want to eat or were hanging back from the feed. Before this, I have seen no signs of lethargy or anyone not feeling well. I saw no signs of diarrhea before this, this morning.

Temperatures outside are in the mid 90's, with lows around 80. Most days, I can keep the coop temperature no higher than around 95 to 96 degrees. Two days ago, it got up to 98 degrees for about an hour, before I got the frozen water bottles for cooling it changed out. Last night was the coolest in a while. I turned the heat bulb on for about an hour in the coldest part of the early morning hours, (to keep the coop between 78 and 80 degrees), although it did get down to approx 73 to 73 degrees for maybe an hour.

I try to keep the coop clean, but I am unable to get all of the poop, because it is so small, when I try to scoop it, it just disolves in the sand. I am cleaning the coop every 3 days to get as much as I can. They seem to scratch a lot of it into the sand, where it just disolves, so i am trying to keep the sand stirred and dry. Any hints on how to get small chick poop out of sand would be appreciated also.

I am at a loss. I looked at the "poop chart" in another thread, and none looked like it, as it is complete water. Any help or advice?

Can you post a pic? Does it look like bloody diarrhea? Corid wouldn’t hurt. Also, do they have grit? If they get anything other than their feed they need it. Chick grit is often available at feed stores.

Can you post a pic? Does it look like bloody diarrhea? Corid wouldn’t hurt. Also, do they have grit? If they get anything other than their feed they need it. Chick grit is often available at feed stores.
I did not see any blood in the water. Just a brown watery substance. It was translucent, not cloudy at all. I didn't think to get a pick before I wiped up what I could find with an antibacterial wipe. I got them from Ideal Hatchery in Texas, and those instructions said to immediately start them out of 10 parts starter to 1 part chick grit. That is what they have been getting since I have had them, minus one day, just a couple of days ago, when I failed to mix the grit in their feed. Should I separate the grit and the food, and give them the option of grit separately for more or less, depending on their needs? Are they old enough to regulate their intake now and not gorge on it?

I just cleaned the coop best I could and I did not see anything that would indicate the diarrhea is wide spread. I failed to mention I have washable/reusable artificial turn nesting pads in the nesting boxes. The nesting boxes seem to stay cooler, so they lay in them during the hottest part of the day. I wash the pads every other day.

I did not see any blood in the water. Just a brown watery substance. It was translucent, not cloudy at all. I didn't think to get a pick before I wiped up what I could find with an antibacterial wipe. I got them from Ideal Hatchery in Texas, and those instructions said to immediately start them out of 10 parts starter to 1 part chick grit. That is what they have been getting since I have had them, minus one day, just a couple of days ago, when I failed to mix the grit in their feed. Should I separate the grit and the food, and give them the option of grit separately for more or less, depending on their needs? Are they old enough to regulate their intake now and not gorge on it?

I just cleaned the coop best I could and I did not see anything that would indicate the diarrhea is wide spread. I failed to mention I have washable/reusable artificial turn nesting pads in the nesting boxes. The nesting boxes seem to stay cooler, so they lay in them during the hottest part of the day. I wash the pads every other day.
I would just keep an eye on them then and see if there’s any change and go from there. Diarrhea could be from the heat. My flock drinks a lot of water in summer so I see more loose stools and they can be colorful depending on what they ate.

I haven’t ever mixed grit with feed, just dumped it in a pile next to the feeder and my chicks were fine. That’s my way, but do whatever you think is best.

The wet mash in the heat is a great idea. Do your chicks like the electrolyte water? If so, what brand do you use? Mine never do so I make a small batch and put in the mash instead, even for the bigs. Otherwise most of it gets dumped out the next day and it’s such a waste.

I would just keep an eye on them then and see if there’s any change and go from there. Diarrhea could be from the heat. My flock drinks a lot of water in summer so I see more loose stools and they can be colorful depending on what they ate.

I haven’t ever mixed grit with feed, just dumped it in a pile next to the feeder and my chicks were fine. That’s my way, but do whatever you think is best.

The wet mash in the heat is a great idea. Do your chicks like the electrolyte water? If so, what brand do you use? Mine never do so I make a small batch and put in the mash instead, even for the bigs. Otherwise most of it gets dumped out the next day and it’s such a waste.
The chicks get save-a-chick electorlytes in a small waterer, and regular filtered water in a larger one. They did drink a lot yesterday, even tho it was not near as hot as it has been. The only real change in diet, was adding save-a-chick probiotic to the same water as the electrolytes.

I ran and got a bottle of Corid at the feed store. Will it hurt to put them on it for 5 days to be on the safe side? I put them back on medicated feed this morning.

Once question about Corid... has anyone done the math on the solution that says 16 ounces per 100 gallons of water? I need to add to a gallon of water. Also, the directions say just give that water only, and to not offer unmedicated water. How do I square away electrolytes with that? It is so hot, I want to keep offering the small waterer with electrolytes, but not if it will interfere with Corid treatment.

The chicks get save-a-chick electorlytes in a small waterer, and regular filtered water in a larger one. They did drink a lot yesterday, even tho it was not near as hot as it has been. The only real change in diet, was adding save-a-chick probiotic to the same water as the electrolytes.

I ran and got a bottle of Corid at the feed store. Will it hurt to put them on it for 5 days to be on the safe side? I put them back on medicated feed this morning.

Once question about Corid... has anyone done the math on the solution that says 16 ounces per 100 gallons of water? I need to add to a gallon of water. Also, the directions say just give that water only, and to not offer unmedicated water. How do I square away electrolytes with that? It is so hot, I want to keep offering the small waterer with electrolytes, but not if it will interfere with Corid treatment.
As I recall you shouldn’t do both corid and medicated feed at the same time. I haven’t ever used medicated feed or corid and my chicks have never had an overload. However, coccidiosis is pretty obvious and should be evident in the poop even now if that’s the issue. It could be the probiotics flushing something out or whatever.

I suggest you keep the corid handy in case it’s needed, and wean them off the medicated feed maybe a bit at a time rather than cold turkey if you’re concerned. No more probiotics, no treats, and only give electrolytes every few days. Give 24/7 access to grit so they can have it when they need it. If they’re outside then there’s likely bugs and other stuff they find. We’re breaking heat records and my flock doesn’t get electrolytes daily so don’t worry too much about that. You can offer a shallow pan of water or a use an old sour cream cup to make ice blocks for them. My chicks played a lot of. King of the mountain. Let the dust settle, keep an eye on the poop and see how it looks in a few days. If in a few days it seems all is well then finish weaning off the medicated feed and begin treats again after you’re satisfied there’s no issue. Treats at 10% of diet for an adult chicken amount to about a tablespoon per day per bird so be careful about amounts.

As I recall you shouldn’t do both corid and medicated feed at the same time. I haven’t ever used medicated feed or corid and my chicks have never had an overload. However, coccidiosis is pretty obvious and should be evident in the poop even now if that’s the issue. It could be the probiotics flushing something out or whatever.

I suggest you keep the corid handy in case it’s needed, and wean them off the medicated feed maybe a bit at a time rather than cold turkey if you’re concerned. No more probiotics, no treats, and only give electrolytes every few days. Give 24/7 access to grit so they can have it when they need it. If they’re outside then there’s likely bugs and other stuff they find. We’re breaking heat records and my flock doesn’t get electrolytes daily so don’t worry too much about that. You can offer a shallow pan of water or a use an old sour cream cup to make ice blocks for them. My chicks played a lot of. King of the mountain. Let the dust settle, keep an eye on the poop and see how it looks in a few days. If in a few days it seems all is well then finish weaning off the medicated feed and begin treats again after you’re satisfied there’s no issue. Treats at 10% of diet for an adult chicken amount to about a tablespoon per day per bird so be careful about amounts.
I think that is the plan. Thank you for all the info. I am going to remove the probiotic, as that is the only change from all happy and healthy, to at least one not being so. I know probiotics can cause diarrhea in some dogs, so maybe it just didn't agree with someone. I sterilized their waterers, and have gone back to how I was doing things. If everything goes well, I will keep it that way, but change the grit to a separate offering, which would be a lot easier. I looked up pics of poop with coccidiosis, and I don't think that is it. This was just a clear brown liquid.

They have been getting approx a teaspoon of mealworms, between all of them, just as a little treat to keep them coming to me, maybe once every 2 or 3 days, so I don't think that is it. I am trying to be strict with treats and give them a balanced diet. I put a frozen gallon jug of water in the coop during the hot parts of the day, and let the small fan sitting just outside the door blow over it to cool down that immediate area of the coop. They love the cold condensation on the bottle, and drink it to cool down also.

I think i will try weaning off of medicated feed in another week or so, after they are used to going outside, and are a bit older. The sand in the run is what I put in the coop, but anything to be on the safe side.

Sorry for the long posts, just trying to think of any info that can help figure this out. My vet gets these kinds of visits with my dog, because I'm the "no thing as too much info" type!

I think that is the plan. Thank you for all the info. I am going to remove the probiotic, as that is the only change from all happy and healthy, to at least one not being so. I know probiotics can cause diarrhea in some dogs, so maybe it just didn't agree with someone. I sterilized their waterers, and have gone back to how I was doing things. If everything goes well, I will keep it that way, but change the grit to a separate offering, which would be a lot easier. I looked up pics of poop with coccidiosis, and I don't think that is it. This was just a clear brown liquid.

They have been getting approx a teaspoon of mealworms, between all of them, just as a little treat to keep them coming to me, maybe once every 2 or 3 days, so I don't think that is it. I am trying to be strict with treats and give them a balanced diet. I put a frozen gallon jug of water in the coop during the hot parts of the day, and let the small fan sitting just outside the door blow over it to cool down that immediate area of the coop. They love the cold condensation on the bottle, and drink it to cool down also.

I think i will try weaning off of medicated feed in another week or so, after they are used to going outside, and are a bit older. The sand in the run is what I put in the coop, but anything to be on the safe side.

Sorry for the long posts, just trying to think of any info that can help figure this out. My vet gets these kinds of visits with my dog, because I'm the "no thing as too much info" type!
Sounds like a plan, and no worries. Writing things out helps me plan and think things through so I get it. I hope everyone is ok!

Sounds like a plan, and no worries. Writing things out helps me plan and think things through so I get it. I hope everyone is ok!
Thank you. I am going to assume that after changing things back, it may take a day or two for baby to get back to normal. Now I just have to cross my fingers they do.

Back
Top Bottom