Treats for young chicks?

ToothFairy07

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2020
I have 4 chicks that are 1 week old and 2 that are 2.5 weeks old. Is it ok to start giving some treats? I have chick grit and have given them a little bit mixed with their regular food in my palm and they loved it. I have dried mealworms and I have some fresh strawberries. I was thinking of giving them a little strawberry to peck at?

I started giving mine some crumbled up dried mealworms at 2,5/3 weeks too (afraid the whole critter would get stuck in their throats 🙈).
Oh, and don't worry if they don't immediatly like a fruit or veggie, just offer it again another day. (cucumber was ignored the first time, now it's one of their favourites)

If you want the fun of giving treats, but are worried about nutrition: get a little of the chick starter wet, and offer that. When I've done that, the chicks just loved it! I've offered it in my hand or in a little dish.

The amount of times I've had to take a bug out of a chicks beak that his mom had given him! She always seems to give them the hugest bugs. And the protest when you try and prise it out of their beaks. 🤣
But I always get so worried about big pieces of food. They're so greedy!

If you want the fun of giving treats, but are worried about nutrition: get a little of the chick starter wet, and offer that. When I've done that, the chicks just loved it! I've offered it in my hand or in a little dish.
This is an awesome idea! I will try it. I'm trying to get them used to being handled and think treats will help. The oldest ones are definitely the most leary of us from not being handled their first 1.5 weeks and I want to get them over that.

The amount of times I've had to take a bug out of a chicks beak that his mom had given him! She always seems to give them the hugest bugs. And the protest when you try and prise it out of their beaks. 🤣

Thanks for the confirmation I'm not being overly protective/worried about the food size 😂

Lol we'll I won't have to worry about that since these are our only chickens for now but it's a funny picture. Also, I HATE bugs so me prying one out of a chicken's beak will not happen. Figure it out little chickie😂

I don't mind them but I hate touching them. One in particular was a horrible type of bug. Not in my comfort zone taking it out. Especially not with the chick squealing in indignation that I'd stolen his treat. But I didn't want him to choke. They're little rascals.
Enjoy feeding your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom