TREATS?

SoCha

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2016
Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 light Sussex chickens and i was wondering about what kind of treats i can give them, we have tried so many kinds of vegetables, but they only like two kinds, corn and yogurt. I was wondering some of your favorite types of treats for your chickens. I would love to give them some to give them energy or such, because they just started to lay eggs. So I would love some ideas that both your chickens and you love.

Thank you so much, Confused Chicken.
hugs.gif

I have 6 hens - 2 White Crested Black Polish Chickens, 2 Ameracaunas 1 RIR and 1 Red Star - they love bananas, apples, carrots, beans, leafy vegetables, string cheese (occasional) and since their feed only contains 16% protein, i give them soy beans, beets, etc) my hens like bread, cooked rice, uncooked or cooked oatmeal, white millet seeds - google is your friend but check out the link below

https://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/

We all do things differently.

I hang kale, cucumber, apple or cabbage for them to pick at. During growing season, they get a variety of fresh vegetables from the garden daily (whatever is ripe or has grown into a wiffle bat overnight(Zucchini). You can give melon, pumpkin, tomatoes and on and on it goes!

I do give a "wet mash" most days - they love this and think it's a great "treat". I mix their 20% protein crumbles with a little water, then add a few "goodies" like chopped grapes, chopped egg, a little fresh corn (that I grow myself), chopped green beans, etc. (not all of these at the same time
smile.png
).

I make their dry feed available at all times.

Last edited:
Mine get scratch grains every day and come running for it (they're free range during the day and cooped at night). They have only turned down asparagus as far as vegetables so far and haven't turned down any fruit, really enjoying watermelon and cucumber. They're favorite flavor bay far though, is red. Anything red brings them running, strawberries, apples, my wife's painted toe nails.

They also really enjoy the grubs that come out of splitting logs, I have to be careful not to hit them with the maul.

Chickens being omnivores can eat anything.. very few things are harmful... I give my chickens alot, but mealworms (TSC has them dried), bread, and cantaloupe cut up are their absolute favorites. Chickens need protein to make eggs so meal worms are a great source for that. I don't know what cantaloupe does besides provide vitamins, but they lose their minds over it.

My chickens LOVE applesauce, peaches, meal worms, cucumbers, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, and basically and fruit/vegetable!!!

Back
Top Bottom