Treats

city_quailing

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2019
Hello, I just wanted some advice or opinions on what are best insects to feed to quail?

I've tried mealworms but the beetles keep turning to cannabilism. so I'm left with only beetles who won't breed. weird.

crickets freaking stink! so no way. also had too many get away the first time and my yard is surrounded with them now.

I was thinking a few others that seem easy enough to breed so I'm not sure of the nutritional value of:

-dubia roaches
-woodies (idk if that's the same as dubia roach)
-moths
-grasshoppers
anything really easy to breed.

I live in Australia so it's hard to get insects here as most are illegal or you need specific licence to keep them which is so stupid.

I want them to be easy and self sorting which I mean by that is no heat lamps, special diet, lots of work, ect.

any honest feedback would be helpful thanks!

Can you get dehydrated bugs? I don't have time for growing bugs and don't like the smell of some so that's my next best option.

I live in Australia too. Insects are not difficult to obtain at all!

Mealworms are the easiest, 110%. You need to separate the beetles from eggs & larvae - but the breeding cycle takes months.

Can you buy bulk crickets, mealworms or roaches and freeze them? I bought roaches recently, planning to breed them. But they are too crawly for me, I'm paranoid they are going to escape and take over my house :lau

The other option is to buy those little insect houses and put them outside and catch insects that way.

I live in Australia too. Insects are not difficult to obtain at all!

Mealworms are the easiest, 110%. You need to separate the beetles from eggs & larvae - but the breeding cycle takes months.

Can you buy bulk crickets, mealworms or roaches and freeze them? I bought roaches recently, planning to breed them. But they are too crawly for me, I'm paranoid they are going to escape and take over my house :lau

The other option is to buy those little insect houses and put them outside and catch insects that way.

yes I separated them all into different containers (I use the self sorting system) but the beetles ate each other and Idk why they did that. they must taste great haha

my quail won't eat them if they aren't moving so I have to have them alive.

yes I was thinking of making a trap to attract them but then they eat my garden so I'm not winning here

I was going to do roaches, not sure how long they take for the full life cycle and breeding cycle.

I would suggest doing a little more googling and reading on breeding mealworms.

With my crickets it took me ages to get the egg-laying medium & hatching temps right.

Re-roaches. Google and you will find all the answers!

Back
Top Bottom