Treats

Stupid question, but when you guys say peas, is that cooked or raw?
I’m looking for a new treat because I just got a new adult and she does NOT like dried mealworms! I was shocked. It blew my plans for getting her to like me...

My ducks very favorite thing in the whole wide world is thawed frozen peas (not cooked, just not frozen). They also like dried mealworms. For a while they liked dried shrimp too, but lately have been turning up their bills at them. Today I tried giving them fresh mealworms for the first time (disgusting sounding, I know. I ordered mine in little individual packets from Chewy.). One of them ate some of them but another acted afraid of them and the third was indifferent. 🤷‍♀️ They are soooo picky. Mine DO NOT like fruit. Not berries, not melon, nothing. Probably better for them in the long run since they'd be fighting DH for it. They like lettuce and spinach too, but nothing is as coveted as peas.

My ducks very favorite thing in the whole wide world is thawed frozen peas (not cooked, just not frozen). They also like dried mealworms. For a while they liked dried shrimp too, but lately have been turning up their bills at them. Today I tried giving them fresh mealworms for the first time (disgusting sounding, I know. I ordered mine in little individual packets from Chewy.). One of them ate some of them but another acted afraid of them and the third was indifferent. 🤷‍♀️ They are soooo picky. Mine DO NOT like fruit. Not berries, not melon, nothing. Probably better for them in the long run since they'd be fighting DH for it. They like lettuce and spinach too, but nothing is as coveted as peas.
Oh, and they love live earthworms and live feeder goldfish too.

Exposing your ducks to treats early helps establish their favorites!! Both my ducks and geese LOVE mealworms, soldier beetles and crickets. They also love cabbage, tomatoes, cukes, herbs, kale, chard, watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, sometimes arugula and watercress. Occasionally if I get a cracked egg I'll cook the egg along with it's shell and incorporate some greens.Sunflower seeds are a great treat as well! Always make sure they have plenty of fresh water and grit with their treats!

Flock blocks are nice for a snack plus are great for enrichment and curing boredom, be sure to keep it contained at night so racoons or rats don't get into it, and during the day keep an eye out and make sure your ducks are eating it rather than the birds.

Back
Top Bottom