Treats

mealworms and dried minnows are my ducks favorites. they also get a daily salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce that they love. some other things they go crazy for are peas (limit too 3 times a week or they’ll get overweight), grapes, blueberries, strawberries, and watermelon. i don't give them fruit too much as it is very sugary. my boy will also dive for carrots, but my girls don’t like it very much. during molting i’ll give them a few handfuls of cat food.

Mine are quite fond of their swim-up lettuce snack bar but they'll try anything that comes on a blue plastic treat plate (they've learned)

They werent super into bananas but that doesnt stop them from gobbling them up. They love peas and tomatoes and blueberries and grapes but go completely crazy for watermelon

IMG_3044.jpg

About the treats we give our feathered friends: Just thought I would chime in while waiting for sheetrock mud to dry - rocking my kitchen - plumber due on Tuesday so..... not taking Sunday off.
Here are some shots of the treats I give to my two girls, not all on one day, of course. They get one treat per day. I keep crumble in a bowl and scratch on the ground, and fresh water. They have the run of a city sized yard with small house and garden on the lot. The older black girl was abandoned. She is super sweet and trails after me while gardening. The younger one was kept in a small cage and she is getting used to having her freedom and learning how to unearth bugs and laze around in a dirt bath. They are a constant source of joy, wonder and company.

Attachments

• brocRice.jpg
    brocRice.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 2
  • cantelopeEgg.jpg
    cantelopeEgg.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2
  • cinnamonEggsShells.jpg
    cinnamonEggsShells.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3
  • cornOnPost.jpg
    cornOnPost.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 3
  • grapesEggs.jpg
    grapesEggs.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 3
  • oatmeal.jpg
    oatmeal.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 3
  • watermelonGirls.jpg
    watermelonGirls.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 3
My ducks very favorite thing in the whole wide world is thawed frozen peas (not cooked, just not frozen). They also like dried mealworms. For a while they liked dried shrimp too, but lately have been turning up their bills at them. Today I tried giving them fresh mealworms for the first time (disgusting sounding, I know. I ordered mine in little individual packets from Chewy.). One of them ate some of them but another acted afraid of them and the third was indifferent. 🤷‍♀️ They are soooo picky. Mine DO NOT like fruit. Not berries, not melon, nothing. Probably better for them in the long run since they'd be fighting DH for it. They like lettuce and spinach too, but nothing is as coveted as peas.

About the treats we give our feathered friends: Just thought I would chime in while waiting for sheetrock mud to dry - rocking my kitchen - plumber due on Tuesday so..... not taking Sunday off.
Here are some shots of the treats I give to my two girls, not all on one day, of course. They get one treat per day. I keep crumble in a bowl and scratch on the ground, and fresh water. They have the run of a city sized yard with small house and garden on the lot. The older black girl was abandoned. She is super sweet and trails after me while gardening. The younger one was kept in a small cage and she is getting used to having her freedom and learning how to unearth bugs and laze around in a dirt bath. They are a constant source of joy, wonder and company.

Gorgeous Birds!

Great corn on the cob holder - very clever!

Back
Top Bottom