Treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roslyn, May 17, 2011.

1. Roslyn

Roslyn Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Cle Elum, WA
    Hey! I wanted to give some little treats like cheese or something to my five day old chicks, but I understand they need grit to act like teeth.
    I was just wondering, does anyone know what I can use for grit/where I can get it? And are they too young to have it? Some people have told me that ripping up a clump of dirt from outside works, but again, are they too young?

Just a thank you in advance to anyone who replies! [​IMG]

2. mydog8it

mydog8it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Your chick starter should have grit in it, but I wouldn't give them cheese. I know they make special grit for chicks, but I've had issues with tiny ones getting impactions from the grit and/or sand, so I don't give them anything like that until they're about a month old now.

After they're about a week old, mine started pecking at alfalfa hay (they LOVE this) or romaine lettuce if I diced it up. I started giving diced grapes, cherries and strawberries mixed in with some chick starter (for grit) as treats after the second week.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. Roslyn

Roslyn Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Cle Elum, WA
    Quote:Thank you! I just didn't want to give them anything if I didn't know it was okay for them. I will definately try the romaine lettuce and the alfalfa! [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    If you wet down the starter they will think its a treat! I give hard boiled egg yolk and I sprinkle sand over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by