Treats?

Krissy12052

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
NH
I was wondering if there are any treats to give my chickens? I have 3, and they're only going to be for eggs. Right now they just have the Layer Feed.
D.gif

Hello! Yes, they love treats! I like to give my hens the watermelon rinds to pick at, any extra fruit that I don't eat, like extra grapes or an apple or even a banana.

We feed our chickens wild bird seed too as a treat--we just throw some on the ground for them to scratch and peck at. They just love that. They also like dried meal worms.

They love cracked corn too, but it's not very nutritional--it's kind of like candy to a chicken. Chickens LOVE a fresh cob of corn--raw. They will just peck that clean.

I try to stick with the healthy stuff, but chickens will eat just about anything--even leftover dinner--meat, potatoes or noodles. I don't feed mine that.

You have to watch, and don't give them salty stuff like chips or crackers and such. They can get saline poisoning from that kind of stuff. Also, citrus fruits aren't good for them--I guess they're hard for a chicken to digest.

Well, take care and enjoy those hens!
Sharon

I read somewhere on here that corn could over heat the birds if its too warm out. Said it was a good treat in cooler weather.

You think wild bird feed would be ok for chicks at 9 weeks of age?
Hello! Yes, they love treats! I like to give my hens the watermelon rinds to pick at, any extra fruit that I don't eat, like extra grapes or an apple or even a banana.

We feed our chickens wild bird seed too as a treat--we just throw some on the ground for them to scratch and peck at. They just love that. They also like dried meal worms.

They love cracked corn too, but it's not very nutritional--it's kind of like candy to a chicken. Chickens LOVE a fresh cob of corn--raw. They will just peck that clean.

I try to stick with the healthy stuff, but chickens will eat just about anything--even leftover dinner--meat, potatoes or noodles. I don't feed mine that.

You have to watch, and don't give them salty stuff like chips or crackers and such. They can get saline poisoning from that kind of stuff. Also, citrus fruits aren't good for them--I guess they're hard for a chicken to digest.

Well, take care and enjoy those hens!
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom