Treatz.

cooliseo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Rainbow
What are the most healthiest treats to give to chickens. Also does anyone have any ideas of good treats to give them. i sometimes make them a 'pie' which is when I get grass, sunflower seeds, and clover for them. So please post some of the things you maybe give to your birds or something you think would be good for mine! Thanks

Cooliseo

Mine like yogurt and oatmeal. In the summer they like watermelon and grapes.
smile.png

Jody

Old fashioned cooked oatmeal with plain probiotic yougurt and tiny food processed bits of fresh apple with no peeling is a favorite with my flock. They also race for black oil sunflower seeds. I don't give this very often, but they will literally bite my fingers trying to get Pepperjack cheese! If I give mine too many treats, the layers' eggshells get too soft even though I always have oyster shell available to them free choice. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it's a riot to watch them eating plain cooked spaghettie noodles. Romaine lettuce disappears quickly, too. If you ever buy a canteloupe that isn't quite sweet enough for your tastes, offer a half to your flock and watch the frenzy. They will eat it down to a thin peel. Also, meal worms will make them your friends for life! Scrambled egg goes over really well on cold mornings if oatmeal isn't available. The best diet for them is their complete balanced feed, however, so it's best to limit treats (if you can!)

I have a lidded bowl on the counter (in the fridge if needed). Plate scrapings from meals go in there, and we take them to the chickens each morning. They get a little bit of everything, and they really like it.

They also really like grasshoppers
tongue.png

Thanks everyone! I will try out new treats with my flock then. Again, Thanks.

Last edited:
I would give my flock all kinds of goodies. Leafroller catapilars, grubs, worms, seeds and table scraps. But for the most part they would catch their own treats! It was a sight when a huge june bug would land in the pens. They would all go nuts trying to steal it from one another.

My chickens also loved fresh figs from our trees, Swiss chard, onions and the guineas especially loved hot peppers. I would also give them Suet cakes every now and then to watch them peck and pull them apart.

Quote:
Onions...interesting, as it is one of the plants listed on the Plants Toxic To Chickens website:
http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html#O

You really have to wonder about some of those plants. I think they may be over-stating the toxicity on some of those. Wisteria is a good example. I suspect chickens don't eat what is toxic to them, for the most part.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom