Tree Nut&Peanut Free Chicken Feed

MollyFaith

Hatching
Feb 27, 2020
We are planning to get our first block this spring! I am looking for chick feed and layer feed that is free from peanuts and tree nuts due to food allergies. Does anyone know what feeds are free from these allergens? Thank you!

Welcome!
There are two things that you can do, and I'd do both of them. Check at your local feed stores, and read feed labels, and check the mill date on several bags of the feeds. Then, when you see what's available fresh where you will be shopping, call the feed companies and ask! Explain your problem, especially if you are extremely sensitive, and get answers, in writing if possible.
Mary

I've never seen a feed that contains peanuts or tree nuts. IMO, those ingredients would be far too expensive to be included in chicken feed as nutritious as they may be. I've bought a lot of feed over the years from perhaps over 10 different manufacturers and nuts have never been listed on the guaranteed analysis tag.
The ingredients are all listed.

Last edited:
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I also have never seen a feed with any nuts in it and have spent dozens of hours reading ingredient labels. Aside from being pricey for nuts, they are also fatty... so just overall probably not a good ingredient for chicken feeds. I have seen lots of seeds in treat mixes... but not nuts.

I do not recall however if I saw any that said "processed on the same manufacturing equipment as nuts" like I might see on some cereals and such. But a call to a manufacturer or an email is always a good choice. Also adding your general location can help folks make the best suggestions possible at a glance.

I have seen lots of feeds with Soy in them... as a legume... maybe also a concern like peanuts???

Best wishes with your first flock! :wee

I agree, but checking with the manufacturer still might be important, depending on what else could go through their machinery.
Mary
That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of that.
I've been in a lot of feed mills but those were owned by commercial poultry and swine operations making feed exclusively for them, so nothing with nuts would have ever been in the building. However, the same may not apply to other mills like Great Lakes that may make other products that could contain nuts.

Back
Top Bottom