Tree sap gathering and syrup making

I’m shocked!!
@duluthralphie I'm sorry to hear that you are not up to making syrup this year. Take care of yourself and listen to WW.
listen to her?

1642104536850.gif

Last edited:
it feels like it should be sugaring weather here. think were just above freezing. but in a few days where back to like -25C (-13F) just got to keep on waiting.

it feels like it should be sugaring weather here. think were just above freezing. but in a few days where back to like -25C (-13F) just got to keep on waiting.
It so feels like the time of year to be tapping and running lines. But the weather and my health are putting a stop to it.

I hope to be back at it next year.

am sorry to hear, hope you feel better soon.
Oh, no, I am not sick. I am just lacking the endurance I need because of Covid. Also I was going to build a new arch, but Covid kept me from welding.

In addition,
I had taken my RO system apart to build a new one, when Covid hit.

In addition, I just feel lazy and tired.

Started tapping today. What a damn mess. Squirrel's/critters did some serious chewing since last season. Used over 500' of tubing to fix all the damage. Furry little destructive critters chewed through fittings as well as tubbing.

Got around 200 taps in today. Shouldn't have a problem getting the remaining 50ish in tomorrow, as well as Cleaning holding tanks, transfer pump and evaporator. Mid 40's tomorrow and 50's Thursday, but don't expect much sap as our sugarbush faces north. Hopefully late Friday into Saturday we'll get some good flow.

Sap running yesterday and today, but cold and snow coming in on Thursday. Next warm-up is supposed to be middle of next week.
Had high winds late last week and through the weekend. Checked the lines yesterday and found several knocked down from falling limbs. Also had a several chewed lines. One squirrel was a little overzealous in his duties to mess with our lines.

Attachments

• IMG_20220221_165027622_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220221_165027622_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom