Tree sap gathering and syrup making

Pics
The Silver maples have started to bud. The busted open today.

I pulled all my taps today. I have about 45 gallons of raw sap and 10 gallons of concentrate to boil down tomorrow.

I have decided against going north to tap again, I have too much work to do here. I took inventory and have about 20 birch trees here large enough to tap. I have not decided if I will.

I finally got the RO working perfectly. I had one cell that was plugged. It is now removing one gallon of water every 15 minutes.

On the video you can see it comes out pretty fast.

I have been running the 45 gallons through it for about 2 hours now. I will use the RO for about 8 hours total before boiling.

With the other 10 I will have about 25 gallons of sap concentrate. I hope to get 2 gallons of syrup from it. Time will tell.

I had three batches yesterday, and I kept them separated from each other.

I was not sure how close to the end of the run we were and if I had went too long on the silver maples. Also it had been quite warm and the one batch was not clear, it was cloudy in appearance, but not milky. I wanted to see the difference in color and taste.

There are so many “myths” surrounding the making of syrup I am not sure of when the sap is no longer good or not, so I pushed it a tad.

I am tempted next year to let a batch begin to ferment before evaporating it, just to see for myself what it’s like.

I goofed on the last batch and went a tad too long on it. However, it has been darker colored than any batches up to this point before I over cooked it.

The hydrometer should float at the red line as this is hot syrup...

F517AECD-D9B7-4BFF-B132-DBE170081AC2.jpeg

Oops... a little too long.

I have the three syrups in identical clear glasses settling right now. I will post pictures of the three colors and their tastes in a few hours.

I am tempted next year to let a batch begin to ferment before evaporating it, just to see for myself what it’s like.
If you cook the fermented sap down, you will evaporate the alcohol. One of the principles of fermentation is that the yeast is converting the sugar to alcohol. By letting it ferment you have effectively reduced the sugar content. By evaporating off the alcohol, you are eliminating the purpose of fermentation unless you are condensng the vapor to collect the alcohol at a higher percentage.

If you cook the fermented sap down, you will evaporate the alcohol. One of the principles of fermentation is that the yeast is converting the sugar to alcohol. By letting it ferment you have effectively reduced the sugar content. By evaporating off the alcohol, you are eliminating the purpose of fermentation unless you are condensng the vapor to collect the alcohol at a higher percentage.

That is my guess too.

I was thinking the taste might be slightly different if you catch it right at the start of the fermentation process.

I would limit the amount I let ferment to 5-10 gallons of sap and make a cup or so of whatever the result is. I sure don’t want to waste more precious sap than that.

I think the sugar content is too low to actually make a wine.

think this year am going to have to skip tapping some birch trees.

due to all whats going on think i will not be able to head north in time. sucks but not much one can do about it.
Nope...

I am not concerned about the Covid. I could go to my property up north and see no one easily.

However, the birch run coincides with garden and spring chores. I would need to plan a year in advance. Which will never happen.

Nope...

I am not concerned about the Covid. I could go to my property up north and see no one easily.

However, the birch run coincides with garden and spring chores. I would need to plan a year in advance. Which will never happen.
main issue for me is i got nothing ready this year, (don't even have the taps but have some buckets lol) and would have to order and build a bunch of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom