Tree sap gathering and syrup making

Pics
Could be a soft maple, sugar maple (hard maple), or one of several verifies of maples.
If its leaking from the tree, its sap. My question is why is it leaking? Usually needs a fresh wound to leak.

One tank almost full. Probably another hr or so before it starts filling the second tank. Looks like we'll be boiling tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210310_115629.jpg
    20210310_115629.jpg
    839.6 KB · Views: 4
@CLSranch It sounds like your tree has damaged bark and is simply leaking sap. Do you use a weed-whacker around that tree, if so you must be hitting the tree and damaging the bark at some point. Sap can also drip down the bark from a higher injury and pool at the bottom of the tree.

Sap is collected in the early spring because the tree is sending alot of sap up to the branches to start growing leaves. The sap from a maple will taste sweet any time of the year, but the tree doesn't produce as much during the rest of the year.

...and temps that are below freezing at night.
Last night was the first night in a long time that we didn't get below freezing with this week being our first "spring" weather... are you saying it's too late now?

And also pecan and walnut trees are late bloomers there are still no buds on these trees, I thought now would still be decent timing?

Friend of mine does syrup here in WI. He was getting sap prolly get another run. Prolly to late down south.
He tells me it needs to go below freezing at night the sap goes back down then warmer in the day starts flowing again.
He runs about 500 taps with laterals and main line and tanks pump.

He tells me the sugar content low this year.

Back
Top Bottom