Tree sap gathering and syrup making

Pics
got a question for you syrup experts.

how much sap do you need to start the boil? hoping to have a gallon or two by the end of day and wondering how much to start boiling each day.
That depends on how you boil it. What do you use for pans and stove?

I boil off 6-8 gallons of water and hour, so I like to have 40-50 gallons of concentrate when I start.

That way I boil 5-6 hours. I don’t want to light the stove for less. It takes it a while to get roaring.

I got 130 gallons of sap today.

I did testing on a few trees.

Boxelders are at a little over 1%
Amur maple 1.25%
red maple. 2.5%
sugar maple. 3.1%
silver maples. 2.9%

I was hoping for about a half a percent more from each one. It is day by day now. It could end at any moment.

got a question for you syrup experts.

how much sap do you need to start the boil? hoping to have a gallon or two by the end of day and wondering how much to start boiling each day.
A friend of mine down the road taps just few trees and makes himself half gallon so it can be done on a small scale.
If I remember right a different person told me 30 gallons sap to a gallon syrup, but then I suppose that could all change as posted above.

A friend of mine down the road taps just few trees and makes himself half gallon so it can be done on a small scale.
If I remember right a different person told me 30 gallons sap to a gallon syrup, but then I suppose that could all change as posted above.
That seems a little overly optimistic. I would say 30 gallons to a half a gallon.

You will want to start boiling soon. The early sap from boxelders makes a buttery syrup that puts other maple syrup to shame.

Are you boiling with a huge kettle over wood?

Or on a turkey fryer?

That seems a little overly optimistic. I would say 30 gallons to a half a gallon.

You will want to start boiling soon. The early sap from boxelders makes a buttery syrup that puts other maple syrup to shame.

Are you boiling with a huge kettle over wood?

Or on a turkey fryer?
am using a steaming pan over a kinda fire pit, turned into a boiling station haha

Back
Top Bottom