Tree sap gathering and syrup making

Pics
Got the evaporator chugging along. Its just me today as my buddy had to work. I'm running the sap level rather high, as this size unit needs 2 people as we'll normally get a draw every 45min. With one person, its impossible to feed the fire, draw off, and filter, before getting another draw. So I run high and jut burn through the sap until I get some help. When doing it this way, our first draw will be 5+ gal.

Attachments

• 20210324_093535.jpg
    20210324_093535.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 3
How much syrup do you have to make to pay for a $3500 evaporator? That's gotta be a lot of syrup. 😉
Around here wholesale price is around $55 a gallon in 55 gallon drums.

If you bottle and sell it yourself it’s 80-100 a gallon.

I bottle in 16 and 32 ounce sizes. Next year I am adding 12 ounce size. I sell for about a dollar an ounce.

So somewhere between 350-700 gallons. But remember it’s a multi-year depreciable investment.

I have a buddy that does 450 trees and he got a little over 1200 gallons this year, and birch season is just starting.

Around here wholesale price is around $55 a gallon in 55 gallon drums.

If you bottle and sell it yourself it’s 80-100 a gallon.

I bottle in 16 and 32 ounce sizes. Next year I am adding 12 ounce size. I sell for about a dollar an ounce.

So somewhere between 350-700 gallons. But remember it’s a multi-year depreciable investment.

I have a buddy that does 450 trees and he got a little over 1200 gallons this year, and birch season is just starting.
Well count me in! I used to head up to Vermont & Maine a long time ago for work purposes. I haven't been there in a decade. Miss the good stuff..... I'd buy a 16 oz bottle from you. :)

Back
Top Bottom