Trees next to run? I want to tell my husband he is wrong

Pics
I want to plant fruit trees next or near my chicken run to help provide shade for the run and protection when free ranging. My husband thinks the fruits trees will give the hawks somewhere to hide and hunt. Pro or Con having fruit trees next to or near chicken run.
I do not have fruit trees right next to my run. My coops are under the canopy of a huge mulberry tree. Which is surrounded by my orchard. It is about an acre in size and contains 14 trees. My chickens spend most of their free range time in the orchard. They do enjoy eating the bruised and fallen fruit when in season. Which is not much, since we pick, use and sell all the fruit we grow. I do have the occasional hawk or eagle come through. That shows interest in the chickens. No more than I have had anywhere else I have had chickens.

I concur that hawks aren't likely to hang out in a little fruit tree, and they'll be little for a long time. I move my chickens around to different spots with the seasons. Now, they're near a huge bois d'arc for summer shade. Owls are prone to sit in it, but not at the same time of day the chickens are out. I have a little elevated platform the chickens can dash underneath if a hawk flies over.

I want to plant fruit trees next or near my chicken run to help provide shade for the run and protection when free ranging. My husband thinks the fruits trees will give the hawks somewhere to hide and hunt. Pro or Con having fruit trees next to or near chicken run.
I have 3 mulberry trees as well as a globe willow and grape vines and huge forsythia around my run. These trees and plants provide deep shade in the heat of summer. I’ve only ever seen a raptor perch on the top of the run gate. That was a huge owl and at night. Trees and shrubs provide cover for the birds during the day and chickens are in the henhouse at night. Go for the fruit trees. Your chickens will love the low hanging fruit. 😊

I have fruit trees planted in my chicken run and have had no hawks lurking in the trees they hang out more in the pine trees

I see no problem with trees next to a run for shade purposes. We live with trees naturally next to ours and don’t have trouble with hawks landing specifically in them anymore than any other trees around the yard. I do find my chickens love our evergreen bushes (cedars) that they can hide under whenever they see a hawk or owl. Plus provides great shade.

Do be careful about toxic plants and needing to be sprayed, but if you can get some bushes growing the chickens can hide under them and use them for shade. They will love bushes. But they are hard on plants. Scratching and eating the leaves and tender stems. Need to protect the roots and the whole plant until big enough the chickens can't eat the whole thing. My run has wire on the top. They just need protection from birds of prey when free ranging. I don't let them out all day; just a couple hours and my dogs are with the chickens. A pit and an Aussie that are a very protective team. We wouldn't have anything if not for those dogs.

I have pear, cherry and peach trees where our chickens have free range and the trees only draw small birds when the cherries are ripe. Bees will be around fallen peaches on the ground but have never bothered the birds. The trees the chickens prefer are the bamboo ones we have where it is cool and dense and there isn't any way for a hawk to swoop down and get one.

Back
Top Bottom