Trespasser!!!!!! - UPDATE on page 2

Don't assume the police did nothing.....He told you he can't tell you everything...You don't know that he DIDN'T call and verify that her car was not stolen yada yada yada. It's scary, but you can't blame the police just because they can't give you all of the details. The way things are these days, that woman could get mad that her info was given and sue them for it. Yes, it's a horrible situation but all you can do is your best to not get there again....As everyone has said, make sure your kids know not to answer the door when they're home alone (I don't even answer my OWN door when I'm home alone and not expecting someone and I'm 27). If someone strange is lerking around, have them call 911 right away...do the same even if you are home. In cases like these, unfortunately, the only way to catch them sometimes is to literally CATCH them.

I most definitely am not blaming the police and there is most definitely the possibility there is more going on behind what they can publically tell me. I hope that IS the case! The issue here is they never sent a car to my house after the 911 call and a report was not even TAKEN until I called more than an hour later to follow up.

That being said, I am confident the police are doing what they can and they have advised me they will be closely monitoring my home and area. The unknown factor is just a bit frustrating and unnerving.

My mother narrowly escaped what I can only imagine was going to be a home invasion. Thank God she is security paranoid after our house was cased then burglarized, and her close friend/neighbor had her car stolen by men 'asking for directions' who pushed inside and got the keys. My parents' house is on two storeys and in the summer she'll often open all of the upstairs windows. She heard someone knock on the door while she was upstairs and looked down out of the window to see who it was. If she doesn't know someone she will only talk to them from the window until she knows what's going on, she's only 4'11 and not exactly tough. Anyway, on this particular day she saw one man at the door and two more hiding around the corner of the porch. She had a guardian angel watching over her that day.

Quote:
Scary stuff..
sad.png

It is so frustrating to be stuck somewhere far away from your child when something like this happens. I can remember being stuck in traffic in Portland when my DS called me and told me that a dog had come onto our property and kill our pygmy goat. He was only 13 years old, and we were living east of Vancouver WA when this happened. DS was able to trap the dog that did it at least. I called 911 from my cell phone, but there wasn't much that anyone would do for us. I wish that I had the toughness back then to SSS with that da%m dog. In the end I had to call a private Critter Catcher to take the dog away. I do know that if I had ever seen the dog again I would have been shooting at it.

But still it is very frustrating to not be right there for your kids when they need you. The phone is better than nothing, but it still is not quite the same as being right there for the kids.
hugs.gif

I can't tell you how many times I have knocked on doors, and had little kids answer the door. It is rather scary that the kid’s mothers, who were sometimes at home didn't think that it was a problem. The worst one I encountered was a 3 year old that was left home alone while the parents were working. As far I as I know the kid was being left alone most of the time, and he would open the door to people that he didn’t know. I don’t know how you could do that to a 3 year old; much less think it was okay to do it.
smack.gif

Glad your dd is OK. I would be worried too wondering what he wanted,but thankful my child wasn't attacked.
I never let the kids open the door or answer the house phone.Once someone gets in your home you are at their mercy.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly! The officer asked me description of the car and I got the impression it matched the tag as far as at least what the car is. My daughter came up with something too that is kind of "out there" but a bit freaky to think of. What is to say someone did not take this woman's car from Mocksville and she is home or wherever, hurt and no one knows. I would think if some strange man that did what he did and is driving a car that does not belong to him would merit further investigation in itself....

People loan their cars out, or purchase a car for son/daughter/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife to use, so just because it is registered in a woman's name does not mean that the person driving it does not have permission, or is not a regular driver of the vehicle.

In our state release of identifying information based upon tag number is illegal. Ten or so years ago someone called in to get information about a car's registered owner, then showed up at the woman's home, raped and murdered her.

just a thought, you can buy fake video camera to mount by your front door at walmart. you can even buy a real one you hook up to record to a vcr or computer for around $200. I looked into it for my dad after someone tried to harm his drag car in the barn. He wanted to rig a hot wire to the door handle
roll.png

Having girls who stay at home, this really scares me. I don't know if you live in a subdivision (we do) but I would inform your neighbors about this to help with keeping a look out for anything suspicious - and to give them the heads up - this person might try it with someone else. We also get alot of door to door sales - we do not open the door to anyone we don't know. I also let my two very loud sounding pugs go at it at the door. I may have to deal with my dogs being a pain when friends do come over but I prefer my dogs barking at the door.

One other thing that has started - home invasion is not just men breaking in - women do it too. If you don't know the person, don't open the door!!!

I saw an episode on Criminal Minds - a man knocked on the door holding an injured/dead cat - stating that he had hit it and wanted to call a vet but didn't know one - then he was invited into the house and, well, it was Criminal Minds - I probably don't need to tell you the rest. I know my animal loving daughters would not hesitate to help someone help an animal but I have drilled it into my girls - if you don't know them do not answer the door!!!

safely....carol

Back
Top Bottom