Tricide Neo for Bumblefoot- Still recommended?

Bumping an old thread, but bumblefoot has been absolute hell for us. I'm not even sure I can get tricide neo in NZ. Why the distilled water? Surely that advice is just for fish since fish are harmed by chlorine? Or is the powder reactive?

City water is treated with chemicals and chlorine, and may contain trace minerals. Whereas distilled water has all the impurities removed. The tricide neo might somehow be effected by the chemicals or minerals in city water, perhaps changing its compostion. You can try using the trineo from your water source, let us know how it turns out.

Thanks, if I manage to get hold of some I'll let you know. I fear it's not even licensed for use here as a Google search turns up nothing.

Please read the post I just did on Bumblefoot...good luck
smile.png

Thanks chicksmom, do you have a link?

We've tried surgery for this one but it's all the way up her leg (started in her bald hock actually). I don't think surgery is an option anymore - it's just become pointless torture IMO. Removing the whole leg could fix it, possibly, but that's just more pain. As much as I hate the idea I'm wondering if euthanasia is the right option for her - even giving her aspirin is becoming an unpleasant ordeal for her (and obviously aspirin won't be an option for surgery).

Thanks chicksmom, do you have a link?

We've tried surgery for this one but it's all the way up her leg (started in her bald hock actually). I don't think surgery is an option anymore - it's just become pointless torture IMO. Removing the whole leg could fix it, possibly, but that's just more pain. As much as I hate the idea I'm wondering if euthanasia is the right option for her - even giving her aspirin is becoming an unpleasant ordeal for her (and obviously aspirin won't be an option for surgery).

Bumblefoot on a hock? There's something going on other than bumblefoot.

Bumblefoot on a hock? There's something going on other than bumblefoot.

We adopted this girl from a lady who was moving, and failed to notice at the time that she'd had a bad case of mites in the past and her legs were completely descaled. We've had her close to a year now and the scales have shown no sign of growing back so I don't think they will. We don't really know how old she is or how long she's been without scales, but she's of laying age.

She came to us very wild and finds a way to roost in a tree high up even with one wing clipped. I assumed she damaged her delicate hock by climbing in the tree and this is how she got an infection. The plan if she survives is to not free-range her like the rest (she doesn't seem to want to be a part of the pecking order anyway) but keep her in her own little run where she can only ever access soft grass and a low roost box, now we realise her scales are unlikely to grow back.

The first infection we noticed were scabby protrusions from her hock and I made the assumption it was staph - do you not think it is? We soaked and removed the scabs - without digging into her legs - and treated repeatedly with iodine and more soaking, but they always come back. There are two sores and they are both on one leg - they don't seem to bother her. What does bother her has only been going on for a few days when I found her limping with a bumble scab by a toenail and the foot pad hot and swollen - the hock sores have never been hot or swollen in any way, just a crusty scab sticking out from the leg.

To Dawg53...
Sorry ? A link to what? I included a link for a video on how you can wrap a chickens foot in my posting of how I treated the bumblefoot with my chickens. If your looking to purchase the tricide neo I would suggest going to E-bay

Last edited:
To Dawg53...
Sorry ? A link to what? I included a link for a video on how you can wrap a chickens foot in my posting of how I treated the bumblefoot with my chickens. If your looking to purchase the tricide neo I would suggest going to E-bay

You are confused. You must be referring to Achelois' post # 45.
I have plenty of experience with bumblefoot surgery AND Tricide Neo.

Back
Top Bottom