Tricide Neo for Bumblefoot- Still recommended?

I hope it can help! I had so much trouble searching for treatments, and I only hope that this works well, and is worth the money! The Tricide Neo hasn't arrived yet, but I'm not expecting it for a couple more days at least, so once it arrives, I'll start updating!

I used it last fall on 3 chickens. I think it was somewhat effective, worked very well on two of the girls.

If you mix up a quart at a time, you won't waste as much. You have to used distilled (not mineral) water, too. I weighed the amount in the package and divided by quarts (I had the 5 gallon pack). It worked out to 1.5 Tablespoons of the powder to 2 quarts, so half of that for a single quart. It says to throw it out and make fresh after a certain number of days, but you can re-use it on multiple chickens over that period of time. I soaked their feet for the recommended number of minutes (you can read the instructions at one of the tricide links earlier in this thread -- I think it was 10 minutes per chicken, per soak) twice a day. I soaked them in the evening after they had gone to roost and then put them back on the roost to keep the newly soaked feet clean. I used it for 10 days, but I had to leave for 2 weeks at that point.

When I started, I had done the surgery on both of the EE's feet (the most seriously involved) and on one of the Delaware's feet. I wrapped those in the morning after they were soaked until the surgery was closed up. I left all unwrapped overnight from the start. I did clean the roosts very carefully every day so they would have clean place to sleep.

My DH didn't want to soak feet while I was gone (go figure that), so he sprayed their feet with Vetericyn in the evening after they were roosting, and by the time I got back, two were pretty much healed up. The third still has scabs on her feet, but otherwise seems to be fine -- no swelling or limping.

Good luck with your girls. I am beginning to think that bumblefoot is pretty common in regular chickens and that generally speaking, only those of us with pet chickens even notice the condition until the bird dies. I suspect my EE (now 2 years old) will die WITH bumblefoot, but not from bumblefoot.
I hope it can help! I had so much trouble searching for treatments, and I only hope that this works well, and is worth the money! The Tricide Neo hasn't arrived yet, but I'm not expecting it for a couple more days at least, so once it arrives, I'll start updating!

Thank you very much for your information, Sharol! I'll reference that when I start treatment! The Tricide Neo arrived yesterday, but I have yet to buy distilled water to start soaking my birds. And with tomorrow being the 4th of July, and with family coming in soon, my hope is to start treating my Polish within the next few days, but it may take some time...

I can start by taking pictures of their feet!

All right, friends! I'm back, armed with pictures of chicken feet, fish medication, and distilled water!

I have a treatment plan worked out.

I will put Preparation H, an anti-inflammatory agent, on both of my Polish feet in the morning, and wrap with Vetwrap and gauze. Then I will divide the packet of Tricide Neo into half, and divide the gallon of distilled water into half, and mix only half of the the packet into the water. That way I will have some for later on, if needed.

Then in the evenings, I will wash their feet to get dirt off, and soak each chicken's feet in Tricide Neo solution for 5-7 minutes, and re-wrap. I plan to do this for five days, then see how their bumblefoot is healing up.

Here are some pictures of both Polish feet before any treatment started:
Shanaynay's- Courtney's-

Here are my supplies- except my bandages....
The Hemorrhoidal Ointment is actually Preperation H, just a cheaper brand. I mean, about $5 cheaper.

Last edited:
Patiently waiting for results!
pop.gif

All right- Today is Day 2 of treatment. My Polish hens are starting to enjoy their forays into the kitchen- there's lots of tasty fruit in there!
I've only done one soaking with the Tricide Neo last night, but this morning, already the scabs look a little pale. I'll add pictures below.

So, what I've been doing is soaking their feet in Epsom salts for at least 10 minutes each time I unwrap their feet, so morning and night. Its quite cute how much my chickens seem to like their spa- they just relax and lay in the warm water. Then, I clean and dry their feet really good, and put the Preparation H on gauze, and wrap the gauze with Vetwrap around their entire feet. I don't have a quarantine pen, so they just go back out in the coop with everyone else.

At night, I soak them again in Epsom salt, then dry their feet, and place one chicken in a small container of the Tricide Neo solution. After 7 minutes, I place the other chicken in the same solution (so I can re-use and save some of the Tricide Neo for later), and wrap feet in gauze and Vetwrap again.

About the Tricide Neo solution that I made:
I only made 1/4 of a gallon of solution. I measured 1/4 gallon of distilled water, and put a quarter of the packet (about 1 and 1/3 teaspoons) of Tricide Neo powder, and stirred until dissolved. I have plenty of powder left over, just in case!

Also, some things that I've observed during the first 2 days of treatment:
Last night, after one application of Prep. H and one soak of Tricide Neo, I noticed that one Polish Hen, Shanaynay, had what looked like dirt stuck to where the scab was. I plucked at it to get the 'dirt' off, and all of a sudden, it came off! Somehow, the entire plug was loose enough and sticking out of her foot, and I got a good kernal of infection out with minimal bleeding. That healed over this morning, and there was a scab, but it was smaller and more translucent brown. I don't think I got rid of the bumblefoot yet, not at all, but it looks hopeful! The scabs were small to begin with, but after a few soaks in Epsom salt, the scabs on Both polish appeared darker, but possibly smaller. Only time will tell, but pictures might help as well!

Here's what Shanaynay's foot looks like after the scab was pulled off.
Ahh! Spa! Here's Courtney (front) and Shanaynay, (back) getting their feet soaked in Epsom salt!
Feet are still puffy and swollen, but the scabs look better.

I'll keep adding updates as I go!​

All right- today was day five!
I don't have any better pictures, because their feet still look the same. There is still a translucent brown scab, but I don't think that there is actually much of anything underneith the scab. Puffyness and swelling have gone down the past couple days, and my girl's feet feel less warm then they did before...

Overall, the Tricide Neo seems to have worked well, drawing the infection out of my Polish's feet, but it isn't 100% healed after only 5 days. Tomorrow is cooping in for my county fair, so I have to stop treatment at 5 days. I'm sure if I continued for another week, the bumblefoot would be completely gone, and I wish I could do that!
...It would be funny to see the look on the judge's face when he sees bright pink VetWrap shoes on both of my birds! I will update later with 'before and after pictures' so you can see a better difference!.

You have learned what I learned a couple of years ago about tricide neo. Yes, it will heal small bumblefoot in about a weeks timeframe. However, larger bumblefoot requires much more time to heal. I wont use tricide neo again, too time consuming. Minor surgery is the way to go for me.

Back
Top Bottom