Tricks for candling brown/dark eggs?

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
I've incubated white and light green duck eggs before, and have never had an issue candling them. I'm incubating chicken eggs for a friend of mine right now, and they are various shades of brown. I'm having a heck of a time seeing anything useful. I have a NR 360 incubator and have been using the candling light on that, in a dark interior room with all lights off and doors shut. I'm about halfway through the 21 days for chicken eggs. (I saw veins on most eggs around 1 week in.) Is it safe to just assume they are okay at this point, as long as they don't smell or ooze or anything?

I use this, and have some luck with the BCM eggs. https://www.amazon.com/Magicfly-Candler-Incubator-Warehouse-Exclusive/dp/B00KCKNYCY?th=1

Not all of them, but like others said, the darker the room, the better. I even have to block out the light from the incubator. I also use reading glasses to magnify the egg. The hardest eggs to see through are the second generation olive egger eggs. Those shells are THICK!
I agree with you on F2 OE eggs...even with a very bright candler (Magicfly), I couldn't tell what was going on in a couple of eggs I candled recently. Fortunately, I haven't had one explode, even if left in for the 21+ days. That blue shell pigment really seems to shield the contents.

I agree with you on F2 OE eggs...even with a very bright candler (Magicfly), I couldn't tell what was going on in a couple of eggs I candled recently. Fortunately, I haven't had one explode, even if left in for the 21+ days. That blue shell pigment really seems to shield the contents.
Agreed, and I have a good hatch rate with those, too.

Back
Top Bottom