Tricky Bird!

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
This is the last surviving chick from my olive egger project attempt. I only got three of the eggs to hatch. One drowned in the duck pool, one my dogs accidentally stepped on and broke its neck (!!), and then I have this creature left. The mother is an Easter Egger and the father is a cuckoo Marans.

First I thought it was a rooster because it had a bright red comb from a young age, but the comb was really small. It also has ridiculously long legs, it's so tall. Then a few weeks ago I saw both of my roosters mating with it and thought oh yay it's a pullet!

This morning when I opened the coop it comes busting out and immediately starts chasing and mating with the hens.
barnie.gif

Someone is confused. I don't know why the roosters would mate another rooster or if it's a pullet why it would do the deed with the hens! My birds have never had gender issues before.
lau.gif

It hatched in the beginning of August, so it's...about 6 or 7 months old now? No signs of crowing so far, and it's not doing the hen squat for me either though the roosters did get it to submit.

800025995_T2zDa-M.jpg

Looking at this picture I can see that its comb has grown quite a bit in the past week or so...maybe it is a rooster?

800025321_qHz2R-M.jpg

You can see it's about twice the size of the Spitzhauben pullet.

800025712_Zx9hs-M.jpg

Just the tail...

What do you think? I'm keeping it regardless, but I'm so curious what it is! I'm voting for rooster. I would be convinced if I hadn't just seen my other roosters mating with it.

Last edited:
That there is a roo-let. More dominant males may mate it as a sign of dominance. I used to have a roo who did that--gave him away--I was tired of seeing my nice boys run SCREAMING for protection from the monster.

Quote:
This is interesting information...considering my little bantam rooster is the one who keeps forcing this bird to submit and take it most often.
lau.gif

I would bet my last dollar on it, that there is a Roo you got there.
big_smile.png

I also have had one of my Silkie Roos mount one of my other roos once.
hmm.png
He was just a young one then. Guess he did not seem to notice that Alpha male Roos don't like to be mounted. Considering my Alpha male is a R/R it did not go over well.
Poor little Silky learned reeeel quick ......... who NOT to mount.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom