Tricky ducks!

farmdude

Songster
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
NE Wisconsin
A couple of weeks ago my ducks FINALLY quit laying for winter. I was tired of throwing out frozen cracked eggs. Today I discovered a stash of 60 eggs hiden behind a nest box.
barnie.gif
they never stopped laying
he.gif
What a waste. I guessing they'll finally take a break come spring when I want eggs.

Quote:
Our overnight lows are single digits and daytime highs in the teens & twenties. If they lay eggs after I leave for work, they are frozen by the time I get home.

Thank you, Farmdude.

So, if temps are in the 20's, do the eggs freeze? Is 32 the magic number, or do they freeze at higher or lower temps than water? I ask because I am wondering at what temperature I would need to turn a heat lamp on to prevent frozen eggs.

Also, I've read mention on this forum about the deep litter method, and how it gives off heat. Can anyone tell me if it gives off enough heat to prevent eggs from freezing?

Thanks again for helping out a newbie
smile.png

Tahai

My Saxony girls haven't started yet, but Quackers has been a trooper! I've found some frozen eggs, but they weren't cracked so I was able to use them still. Our lowest so far has been 19 degrees. Sometimes she lays it out in the run on the ice. Silly duck.. they have a warm house! She hasn't skipped an egg since she started laying in... September?

I've used her eggs for cookies and banana bread so far... I don't know if that's what makes them so good, or if I just haven't baked in awhile and that's why it's good. LOL

TAHAI:

Mine lay in covered boxes I have outside. I have found that they start to freeze once it gets below 30 degrees F. I put tons of hay in the boxes for them. They will lay their eggs and cover them in the hay. The ones in the hay don't freeze but ones that get laid outside on the ground generally do. My girls lay early, so I usually go out around 7 am and everyone is done laying. Some eggs are still warm when I collect them, some are cold. But the hay definitely helps prevent them from freezing.

Back
Top Bottom