Tried everything/ can't break broody/ advice appreciated!

specklesmom

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Texas
I've read and tried everything I can find on how to break a broody (days and days of chicken jail 4 ft off the ground with ice packs all over floor forcing roosting on 2x4, along with cold water dunks). Nothing has had any effect. With last purchase of chicks sixteen months ago I got two Buff Orps along with my usual Barred Rocks because I read they are friendly and easy to keep. Saw broodiness listed but didn't realize it would be SO much worse than with Barred Rocks. After all extended efforts to break broodiness have failed I'm ready to just let broody "Blondie" continue to sit 24/7 on her invisible eggs. I'm worn out from pulling her off the nest at regular intervals to try to get her to eat, poop, drink water. I sewed a harness so I can keep her on a leash instead of repeatedly chasing behind her as she sprints back to the coop area during outings. She protests so loudly when I have her away from the nest that I'm afraid the neighbors are going to turn me in to the SPCC. Humid heat and mosquitoes in this Texas hell hole are difficult enough this time of year. We are maxed out on chicken numbers so I can't let her sit on fertilized eggs or get chicks. I don't want to lose my normally sweet and funny hen but don't know what else to do. I can tell this is definitely hurting her health....How long can this go on? If I just let the zombie feather ball sit in the heat will she survive? My husband refuses to let me make her a house chicken and she probably would just "nest" under a chair anyway. Help!!

Thanks for the message. Have tried all except for letting her hatch eggs. Roosters would be a major problem to re-home and we don't have room for more hens.
Since you don't wish to add birds perhaps have her raise some and sell them as started pullets?
Nice idea but I don't have the energy trying to sell pullets would take. Thanks for the suggestion.

Since you mentioned how hot it is, have you tried bringing her indoors and caging her somewhere inside your home or perhaps an insulated garage? Normally I wouldn't suggest taking her out of the flock but if she's disrupted enough by the complete change in environment and kept a bit cooler than outside temperatures, that should hopefully help her break.

Since you mentioned how hot it is, have you tried bringing her indoors and caging her somewhere inside your home or perhaps an insulated garage? Normally I wouldn't suggest taking her out of the flock but if she's disrupted enough by the complete change in environment and kept a bit cooler than outside temperatures, that should hopefully help her break.
Great minds......We moved Blondie into the laundry room last night. Set up chicken jail on a card table and raised the wire box on blocks so she's getting AC from all directions. I hadn't previously thought about the effect of the long summer days. We'll keep her in the dark so her "days" will be around 8 hours or so. I just hope I can get her to eat more than she has been. She has really lost weight, poor baby. This place is already a zoo but the aroma doesn't normally make your eyes water. Hoping this will work. Thanks so much for your thoughtful response!

Just an update...After 4 days in the air conditioned laundry room, with light on no more than 8 hours each day------SUCCESS!! After the third day we tried releasing her with the other girls at roosting time. She seemed fine while outside in the run but immediately went to the nest when everyone else hopped up on the roost. So, back to jail. Part of the time I kept a small fan blowing on her and occasionally I also sprayed a mist of water into the "wind". I also put all kinds of obstacles on the wire floor of the jail so she didn't have a good place to squat on her invisible eggs. Her attempts to balance on the round, chopped off wooden closet pole would have been amusing if I hadn't felt so sorry for her. BUT on evening number four attempt to return she jumped on the roost instead of heading to the nest!! Worst result was the treatment from the other girls as she returned to the group, but things are slowly working themselves out. Thanks so much rosemarythyme and everyone who offered advice. Hoping the broody routine isn't going to be a regular event.

Back
Top Bottom