tried the cabbage dangle yesterday

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kinnip, Nov 5, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I tied a hefty string around the base of a green cabbage and hung it from a low slung branch in the run. What a hoot! That poor cabbage was picked down to a nub in a matter of hours. The coolest part is that as it decreases in size, the branch raises up. By the time it was half gone, they had to jump and fly a bit to get to it. Exercise and treat! I just bought another cabbage. [​IMG]

2. mudda

mudda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Central IL
    Too funny! I love it when they pop up like little wind-up toys.

3. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I will have to try that. I really like corn football though.

4. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i did a head of lettuce. i hug it up by there food went back to the house came back 2 hours later it was gone!

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

what did you use to hang your cabbage?

6. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    I'll have to try that.

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I used some white cotton yarn from the Wal-Mart. I plucked off the outer couple of leaves in hopes of minimizing any insecticide exposure. The resulting stump had just the right ridges to tie the yarn under and around.

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I tried giving them cut up lettuce but they just turned up their beaks and walked away.. Any ideas how to get them hook on it?lol

9. LittleYellowOne

LittleYellowOne Chillin' With My Peeps

Attack Chicken- I'm in the same boat! I can't seem to get my Blackie to like anything other than his silly chicken feed! [​IMG]

I'm like heeeeere try this, you're supposed to like this! And he just turns up his little beak! Stubborn little thing! Though I suppose he may have just been watching me a little too closely~ [​IMG]

I've only ever gotten my Blackie to eat ONE thing besides his feed, and that was a baked potato complete with chives, butter and sour cream...

Not the healthiest thing in the world for a chicken, but I was just so surprised he ate something that I let him have as much as he wanted!~ [​IMG]

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have never tried the cabbage thing. I'll have to do that and see how mine like it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by