Tried to add something cool and the girls hate it

The tree stump should be a friend of all of them. We or he put one in our run years ago. The stump is close to a tree that is over 50 feet tall. When I sat down on it to watch them years ago they did not do anything with it. What we did is hand out treats sitting on the stump. When we sit down on anything in the run they all gather around us. Today after years went by they still don't jump on the stump. They know we sit on the stump. We also have a wood dog house he made, they all jump on this and a old type of feeder. When we sit on the dog house they all circle around for treats. Give them toys they can sit, and jump off of. We also have a wood dug out. It looks like what the ball player sit in on the side lines. This they go into all the time. If it rains they go in there so they don't get wet. They also dig in the dirt there.

Today I noticed one of my neighbours having a tree cut down. I joyfully walked over and asked if I could have a section of the stump to put in my coop for the girls to climb on and add a little something new to break up possible boredom.

Well, you would think I put a bag of snakes and a couple of hawks in there with them!

I was afraid for awhile they were going to hurt themselves or each other trying to fly through the hardware cloth to get out. They cower on the other end of their run and have been screaming ever since. Will see if they accept it in the morning and if not, guess I have to pull it out. Sheesh! No good deed goes unpunished.
Update ... I moved the stump away from their food and water to the other end of the run. Still has treats on it and this morning's treats are trailed to it for good measure. They are still wary, but not visibly upset so thank you all for your input and advice. Something tells me they will be perched atop it any day now. :) Pics are from yesterday.

Attachments

• scary stump.jpg
    scary stump.jpg
    725.1 KB · Views: 21
  • not interested.jpg
    not interested.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 21
Today I noticed one of my neighbours having a tree cut down. I joyfully walked over and asked if I could have a section of the stump to put in my coop for the girls to climb on and add a little something new to break up possible boredom.

Well, you would think I put a bag of snakes and a couple of hawks in there with them!

I was afraid for awhile they were going to hurt themselves or each other trying to fly through the hardware cloth to get out. They cower on the other end of their run and have been screaming ever since. Will see if they accept it in the morning and if not, guess I have to pull it out. Sheesh! No good deed goes unpunished.

My girls are the opposite. We are putting wire over the run finally. We open the gate and let them run in the yard while we work. Now if we don't keep them out they want to "help". Skippy hears the nail gun and runs as fast as she can to do her part. Betty didn't even get off the air compressor when it kicked on. So curious.

Mine are afraid of anything new inside there coop. If I try to move something that's been in the coop or run since day one, they go bonkers. Just moving there ramp to the perch to clean it, and they act like its a monster that came to life.
:wee

My girls are the opposite. We are putting wire over the run finally. We open the gate and let them run in the yard while we work. Now if we don't keep them out they want to "help". Skippy hears the nail gun and runs as fast as she can to do her part. Betty didn't even get off the air compressor when it kicked on. So curious.

I got a few like that. They will jump up between my feet on my zero turn and ride around. Zero cares at all.

Back
Top Bottom