Trilling chicks yay!!! & a death :(

Kholts

Songster
Feb 11, 2019
Canada
Just brought 6 Brahma chicks home ranging in age under a week to 3 week old. They are from a “color” breeding program so they aren’t light, farms or buff.

I let them into the brooder from the box & within a couple mins heard trilling. Is there A BETTER sound?!

5 seemed super content right off the bat & the youngest was not happy. I had to leave & come back 1.5 hours later & it was taking its last breaths. Pretty sure it was shipping stress (traveled in car 5 hours) & possibly suffocation as I noticed it was trying to huddle under the rest.

I pulled it out quickly & tried to warm it & get some chick vitamins into it but I was too late. Such is bringing home chicks I suppose.

I’ll post pics soon!

Here’s a couple photos of the babies. They are still a bit Scittish which is normal I know. I also have a sneaking suspicion 1 of the older ones is a roo. Just a feeling I get. It’s always putting itself between the group & me. Also first too head to the feeder & scratch it around.

Obviously I know it’s too soon to know & all chickens act different blah blah...just a feeling I got & I know with my ducks I’m usually right.

142FBD57-10A8-4B04-B5BF-CF17834DCEF6.jpeg D8B4F135-61EF-41BE-A845-E698D96D617E.jpeg 85096ED2-B750-4CED-AC59-49F276702354.jpeg BAC1492E-CE90-46FD-8DBC-C5EA7787D3D1.jpeg

Chicks are now 3 weeks & 5 weeks old.

I swapped out their lamp (need it for other chicks) for a heated pad. I had to put each one of them on it so they understood. Silly things.

They are feathering nicely & i’m hoping I can transfer them to the coop soon. With a lamp of course. I’m in Canada so we are just making positive temp during the day & our night are just below or above 0C.

They're lovely!

I adore my Brahma. She's quiet and very friendly. I hope you enjoy them!!!

The 2 oldest ones are already starting to calm down. The 1 I like the most doesn’t even run when you put your hand in to pet it. I have a feeling it’s a ROO of course. Just my luck as I’m not zoned for them.

Here’s a couple photos of the babies. They are still a bit Scittish which is normal I know. I also have a sneaking suspicion 1 of the older ones is a roo. Just a feeling I get. It’s always putting itself between the group & me. Also first too head to the feeder & scratch it around.

Obviously I know it’s too soon to know & all chickens act different blah blah...just a feeling I got & I know with my ducks I’m usually right.

View attachment 2557783View attachment 2557784View attachment 2557785View attachment 2557786
Oooh. that's a smart idea. The plastic lid under the waterer. I'm going to do that. - tomorrow. Years before mind had dumped their whole waterer out and I had to clean the whole brooder.

Back
Top Bottom