Trimmed beaks

J redstar

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
Hello chicken lovers.... new to BYC, haven't had chickens since I left home 30 years ago. I bougth 6 RedStar pullets about 4 weeks ago. Got my first pulllet sized eggs this weekend.

Does anyone have any experience with trimmed beaks? My chickens all had trimmed beaks when I bought them some look really hacked up, top beak shorter than bottom on some chickens. Chickes are eating ok. Can I trim beaks and make top and bottom even. or is this necessary?

Thanks

J

Leave their beaks alone. I have a few with trimed beaks also. Some people do that when they keep their chickens in over crowded conditions. I hate the practice. Just keep their feeding trough and water filled deep so that it is easy for them to get their food without hitting bottom.
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
x2 what aricisom said. I had a similar situation with some of my hens. Best to leave it and make sure their bowls are filled up and deep. I found wetting their food helped a bit too.

have seen some that have had a reg. light blub in the brooder it will do sometheng to thir brain thay start pecking and to stop it thay trim it and the over crowed theng too but once thay start to peck thay will always peck and what every one said is spot on just keep thir bolw filled ps some of the big egg houses do that an still put them in smalll pens so all thay do is eat an lay not a good life

Back
Top Bottom