Trimming a chicks Beak ????

halfpynt

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
Hi,, very new to raising chicks,, got six girls two days ago.
I was researching how to care for them,, and one website said to trim their beaks,,, so they dont learn to peck at each other ,,,,

Does anyone do this, it seems cruel, and if it is buisness as usual,,,, what do you use to do this,, a dog nail clipper ? human nail clipper , or do they sell something just for that ?
Thanks
smile.png

The only people I know that trim a chicks beak (other than to help fix some form of deformity) are people who raise them commercially and have many, many, many chicks, where the instance of pecking would be greater due to boredom and over crowding.

Now, I doubt this is you, am I right?
wink.png
Then there is no need to trim their beaks. If you are worried about them picking at each other a simple red bulb in the brooder lamp will correct that!
big_smile.png

In normal instances where we "backyard" farmin type peeps, get 5, 10, or 20 chicks at a time there is just simply no need to trim off their beaks (which by the way, BLEED when you trim them and never grow back correctly afterwards. I associate BLEEDING with PAIN, don't you?)

If you give your chicks ample room and attention, as well as good food and things to stimulate their minds...they will have no time, or reason to peck at each other.
smile.png

Quote:
When you trim beaks, you only trim the upper one. Then, only, trim the clear part. It will bleed if you cut too far. Which, you really dont need to. This is my first time keeping chickens, but I've been trimming their beaks. I only have a small flock of eleven, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can by doing it. I haven't had to deal with any sickness as of yet. But, then I guess I have to thank God for that much luck
big_smile.png

Thank you for answering my question ... i thought it sounded shady !! and inhumane . I would have never done it without consulting for info first !

I have had over 150 chicks at one time and never had to resort to trimming. You can create more problems than anyone ever tells you by trimming them. It isn't worth it. Commercial operations do it because over crowding and canibalism is common. But remember those chickens only live a very short time, so in commercial operations the long term problems don't have time to manifest.

Back
Top Bottom