Trimming a Polish's crest?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kara_leigh, Aug 23, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Is there a way, or is it even possible, to trim the feathers in a Polish's crest? If not, maybe I could put it up in a ponytail? LOL Seriously. My SLPC Cricket is having a hard time seeing. I know that is a hazard of the breed, but I'm worried about her getting snatched up by a hawk or something b/c she doesn't see it. Her flock mates are really good at talking to her so she knows what is going on, but occasionally she gets separated and I have to carry her to them.

Has anyone else trimmed crest feathers?

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I trimmed the feathers on my polish roo's crest the other day.
    Just trim down the feathers with scissors like a haircut but just don't go to close to the base of the feather (i heard it could bleed if you do)
    Just get one person to hold it still for you while you do it otherwise you may poke it in the eye so be careful.

1 person likes this.
  3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Yes! Absolutely! I had a friend hold my girl while I trimmed the feather in front of her eyes and then the feathers that hung down over the sides to block her view. It really did make a huge difference in her happiness. Good luck!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I use a pair of haircutter's scissors and give my polish girl haircuts regularly. I give her a sloppy mohawk. I'm afraid to use pony tails because I don't want to use a band that might encourage the other chickens to peck at her head.
    I thought I would also have to cut my polish cockerels poof, but his falls perfectly to each side of his head. Plus, by the way he hauls butt when I approach him I can tell he sees just fine.

5. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Does anyone have any pictures of what their Polish looks like after a haircut? I'm just trying to picture how I should do it. lol

6. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
  7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I usually keep trimming around the eye, farther and farther till I see that they can see. I trim the feathers short.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Here's some examples - (pardon the messed up or broken feathers)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. guineahen14

guineahen14 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Shelbyville Tn
    I have three polish hens and I have trimmed their head feathers a few times, this way they can see hawks coming from above and other dangers.

10. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Awesome! Thank you!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by