1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

trimming silkies crest

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Oct 8, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
  2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    As long as they are not pin feathers you should be fine. Meaning, if the feather is actually out of the shaft, (does not look like a porcupine quill) your good. Trim away.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Yeah, it should be fine. Is he thin? I'd suggest putting that waterer on the ground or on some bricks so it would be easier for him to access it and try hand feeding him some baby parrot formula with some v&e mixed in. Hope he pulls through, he's gorgeous! [​IMG]

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Nothing to worry about. I just trimmed the crests on my silkies a few days ago. I don't like for it to come down over their eyes and effect their vision and mine aren't for show, just hopefully broodies, plus it makes them like more like chickens than a walking fuzz ball. LOL

5. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    I trim crest once a month and have enver had a problem with it.

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

If God had not wanted your silkies to see and/or stay dry, he wouldn't have given your husband a beard trimmer for you to "borrow" and take a couple of straight cuts up in front of and on the side of their eyes.

7. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    you could always use a hair clip and clip them back or pluck them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by